When To Use Ph Test Strip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1974Alby

Reaction score
Pretty simple question. I have recently started using salts for simple water chemistry adjustments and am now looking to get some ph test strips. At what point in the process do I use them?...I figure straight after dough in would be best so I can make final adjustments asap and have grains mashing at 5.2 for the full mash period. Is it that easy? Or does the mash ph change over time as the grains do their thing?

also, from my reading it appears there is no need to cool a sample... ok to dip the strip at 66C?

what do you do?

pH may take some time to settle/equilibrate.

What you probably need to do is work out a couple of mashes slightly anally early on, then worry less thereafter.

Calculate your approximate, desired additions, based on your water profile and mash grist using ez water calculator or similar.

Measure your mash at the beginning, 10 mins in, 20 mins in then before the sparge/at mash out.

Then after adding sparge water, then total runnings. You only need to do this once or twice max to get a feel for what may occur in your mash over time.

Don't forget to account for temp if you measure at mash temp (around .3 points lower than if at room temp).

Alternatively let temp settle and measure and measure again at the end of the mash. This will give you a slightly rougher, but still useful indication.

I measured the ph for the first time last brew using a digital meter. It measured 5.2 (so would that be 5.5 at room temp) after about 10mins into the mash. I didn't bother measuring any more. I don't really know if that's a good number or not. The Ez water calc says that target mash range is 5.4-5.7 at room temp. Most of the estimated mash ph on that calc end up around 5.2 (based on the average water profile for the area).

Back