When To Stop A Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
I have read somewhere that after a cerain number of hours, the yeast count of a starter does not increase, but that the yeast are simply tiring and ageing as they complete the starter fermentation. The suggestion was that - I think - at high krausen the starter could be crash chilled to keep the yeast young before pitching.
Can anyone confirm / deny this as a desirable brewing practice?

Could be fine for some types of yeast. Some get lazy after crash chilling.

I personally pitch my starters at high krausen... keep them going.

I have taken a portion(s) of a starter for future batches... but they need to be woken up later on with another starter and will change in profile.

Why do I want to know?
Because I want to brew tomorrow, but it will not be fully fermented out.
Rather than delay my brewing, I am crashing it tonight, after about 3 days, so that I can decant the starter liquid of 4.5 liters /5 quarts.
I don't want the DME starter in my AG.
So I was wondering if crashing it before fully fermenting it out was going to be detrimental.

I've crashed chilled a few for the same reason, Yorg. All I did was syphon the DME wort from the top the next morning, and then add a litre or so of the wort from my brew to it and whack it on my stir plate and pitch an hour or so later. Yeast has been very active every time.

Back