When To Rack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cero

Reaction score
Hi All -

When I make up our next batch I plan to giving this "racking" a go. I have some questions about the process though (previous brews have been made using a single fermenter ;)).

So - I know I basically need to transfer the contents of the primary fermenter into the secondary one (making sure it is sanitised etc before doing so) --- but I am unsure when to do this? Last time I asked about this I was told to rack at various times eg: 4 days after the primary ferment began - 7 days - at completion of primary ferment etc. More information on "when" to do it appreciated.

I'm assuming some fermentation does occur in the 2ndary ferment - so enough yeast (in theory I guess one cell is enough) - gets transferred between the two ferments.

Thanks for any help :D,

Hey Cero, there is a good guide over at grumpy's if you have not read it.

Personally I rack when the primary fermentation is finished or has died down a lot. This has the advandage of fitting in with weekends (start ferment on sunday, rack friday/sat, roughly 5 - 7 days) and also as you have basically finished the primary fermentation you don't have to worry about 'stuck' ferments. Fermentation does continue in the secondary and there is usually plenty of yeast getting through (last bit or beer transfered is usually a bit cloudy).

Also a few days before I bulk prime and bottle I disolve 1/2 tblsp of gelatine in 1/2 cup of warm water and gently stir this into the top of the brew.

Hope that helps.

Hi Cero,

I usually rack after 7 days for Ales and 10 days for Lagers.
I rack into the secondary for 2 weeks and dry hop in the secondary as well.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back