When To Pitch/bottle A Liquid Yeast Culture?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichLum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought my first liquid yeast yesterday (WLP550) and cultured it up following various instructions I found on the forums and net.

This morning there was a nice 1cm or so krausen on the top so seems to be going good.

One thing I haven't been able to work out is when is the best time to separate out into some stubbies and pitch the rest into a brew?

Whilst in the krausen stage?
Just after krausen stage?
Once fermentation has completely finished?

I'm thinking that if you did it at the end of fermentation then you would have to worry about stubbies exploding in the fridge but then you may also be bottling a lot of dead yeast?

Once at krausen are the yeast going to multiply any more or have they completely finished multiplying so bottling alter will not get you any more yeast?

thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,
I usually wait till its fermented out then seperate it. I use 600 ml pets so even sometimes if it hasn't fully fermented out and I seperate it then i just release the gas in the pets after a while.

cheers

johnno

Whatever you do, wait til it has finished fermenting, or they will blow your fridge door open in the middle of the night, i know, it has happened to me.

Latest posts

Back