When To Pitch A Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shed

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a WLP001 starter going that was a bit old and took a while to get going. It's now at 48Hrs and appears to be at high krausen.
Does this look ready to pitch or should I give it another 24Hrs?

When is the best time to pitch, at high krausen or after it's fermented out? WLP001Starter.JPG

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks POL,

Knew I could count on you.
That's all I needed, It will be pitched inside an hour.

Thanks again,
Andy

Shed said:
Hi guys,

I've got a WLP001 starter going that was a bit old and took a while to get going. It's now at 48Hrs and appears to be at high krausen.
Does this look ready to pitch or should I give it another 24Hrs?

When is the best time to pitch, at high krausen or after it's fermented out?View attachment 3306

Cheers,
Andy
[post="69355"][/post]​

I have read that either way is OK. To me I can see some flocculation at the bottom and you still have that krausen on top. That is about the time I would pitch mine. If your brew is not ready, than no worry, it will keep in the fridge until you are ready without much worry...

:chug:
PeterS....

How old's "a bit old", Shed? I have a sample of WLP001 that is probably older, just wondering if it's worth investing the DME in trying to fire it up again.

Go on PoMo join the T A B.*!!

The DME will be cheaper than splashing out on a tube anyway

No one will ever be able to recreate your signature ester in their bitter

* Tight Arse Brewers

JOKING!!!

But worth the thought

Linz, I'm a card carrying member of the TAB. If Shed's yeast is within a year of mine, I'll pitch it ;)

Onya son,

Hey its only time..waiting for that single cell to start working

PoMo,

Mine was 16months old and I still got another one in the fridge as well.
There was no activity at all for the first 24Hrs. I probably should have started small and stepped it up to a litre but, it's powering away now on the brew I put down last night.

How old is your sample?

Jan 03. I don't know why I haven't thrown it out already :) But I guess I'm committed (just) to trying to start it back up now.

Back