When To Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all, I currently have an experimental ESB in secondary which I chucked a plug (steeped in boiling water for 5 mins) into. I plan to rack this weekend and then cold condition for 2 - 3 weeks before kegging.

I want to chuck one more plug into this brew either in the CC jerry or in the keg. It will be wrapped in some kind of stocking/mesh so it wont cause havoc....

Where do you think the best place to chuck the next hops would be?

This is the recipe if your interested:

4kg pale malt
400g Caramunich
500g Munich
50g Chocolate

40g Progress @ 60mins
14g Progress @ 15mins
14g Prgress @ 10mins

1 plug EKG in secondary
1 plug EKG in CC or KEG????

Gunna be a hoppy one JasonY,
I did one a while back and went all out and said OK lots of hops !
Holey Moley tried it today , hops azz !
Nice but some people would spin out I think

Jasony.
recipe looks good. How about dry hoping in both.
2 plugs is a oz so you could get the taste after it finishes in the conditioning cube and decide wether to chuck another in.
Anyway thats just one idea. Theres plenty of others.

BEERS, JAYSE

Speaking from experience you can do it in both. 1-2 weeks in each is enough to get an effect. Make sure you enclose the hops in a bag in your keg. I did it by just chucking a plug in and it ended up blocking the beer out tube.

TDA

Problem is I only have one plug left .... wanted to try out progress hops in this one and found a couple of EKG plugs in my fridge so throught these would be good for dry hopping. Think I may chuck it in the CC jerry as it should get a good 2 - 3 weeks in there.

TDA, do you really need 2 weeks to get an effect from dry hopping! I have only tried it once before when I put it int the secondary for about 4 days ... was dissapointed in the lack of aroma, sounds like that was too short a time!

I reckon 1 week and you can get some aroma but 2 weeks is definately better. It all depends on time restraints.
BTW I have only dry hopped ales, has anyone dry hopped lagers with success?

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

I recently dry hopped 2 pilseners with 15 & 30g of SAAZ in the secondary for a week. The aroma is clearly detectable in both & more pronounced in the 30g one (as you'd expect) but I wouldn't mind more. Next time I would try leaving in secondary for longer - maybe 2 weeks. Anybody have an idea if you get any value dry hopping in CC?

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
I reckon 1 week and you can get some aroma but 2 weeks is definately better. It all depends on time restraints.
BTW I have only dry hopped ales, has anyone dry hopped lagers with success?

Cheers and bollocks
TDA
I dry hop my Bavarian Lager with Hallertau Plugs when they go into cold conditioning for a few weeks...

I then strain out the hops when I rack / bulk prime the secondary.

Lovely! B)

Cheers,

TL

Well I had my first taste out of the keg today ... tastes like bloody grass :angry: think I may have buggered this one up. Its drinkable but I don't think I will repeat it, after a glass you kinda get used to it ;) .

I hopped in the secondary with one plug for a week and then in CC with another plug for 2 weeks. These hops were steeped in boiling water for 5 mins b4 adding. I also used Safale S04 on this one ....

Ahh well brew day tomorrow ... hmmm LCPA

My dry hopping days are over for now.

Hmmm, looks like LCPA is enjoying a moment in the limelight - I'm also doing one tomorrow after getting my hands on 500g of 6.3% Cascade pellets for next to nothing!

Cheers,

TL

I think I would dryhop in secondary: that way you can control how long to leave the dryhops in the beer.

I brewed an IPA 2 or 3 months ago, 410g Goldings plus another 90g as dryhop. This was in a corny in which the beer will be matured for 12 months.

Now I recently received a post from the UK Alelist where someone had brewed the same recipe but found he needed to let the beer age a few more months to get rid of the dryhop astringency. So, there are perils in dryhopping for too long, esp with significant amounts of dryhops! (I will likely bottle the IPA in July rather than October as originally planned, rack it out the keg and off the dryhops.

Jovial Monk

410g!!! holy sh#t what was the volume of the brew! Thats a lot of hops :eek: .

So is there hope that if I leave this brew a month or so it may come good? it only had 28g dry hopped so nothing on the 90g you are talking about!

Back