When To Diacetyl Rest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
I am putting down a Dutch Lager with Saflager 34/70. I will pitch at 16-c deg. rack from primary to secondary after 14 days @ 12 deg., move the secondary to cc after a further 14 days and then rack to bulk prime after 7 days cc. I have read varying posts on when to undertake a 'diacetyl rest'. Should it be between the primary and secondary phase or between the secondary and cc phase. Also is 7 days sufficient for cc'ing @ 0.5 deg.

Hogan
From what Ive read (and done) do the rest between primary and secondary. Ive been told to wait until you have a reading of 1020 and then move to room temp for 48 hours and then rack to secondary and then reduce the temp again. Works for me. Sorry cant answer your question about cc'ing as I dont do it.
Cheers
Steve

The more you read, the more answers you recieve.

I suspect, the need for using a diacetyl rest comes from commercial breweries which must turn the beers over and get them out of the fermenters into bottles as quick as possible. More beers in primary, secondary and cold conditioning means more vessels, more space, more refridgerated space and more money tied up.

If you are doing a diacetyl rest you want to do it close to the end of the main fermentation, while there is still plenty of yeast in suspension.

I have never deliberately done a diacetyl rest on my lagers, they stay in primary for four weeks.

Learn what it tastes like, and work out a schedule that suits your brewgear and setup.

Welcome to the board Hogan.

This issue comes up regularly, and there have been some excellent answers.

Use the search function, and search on diacetyl. You will find lots of answers there.

There was an excellent article in the Brewing Techniques library too.

Thanks for your advice P.O.L. I can see that there are a number of varying opinions on 'rest' but I have now got a better handle on when (or if) it should be done. It does appear however that if the primary fermentation was permitted to complete to its lowest FG there would be no need for it at all. That opinion is greatly divided - rack to secondary at 3/4 ferm or leave to fully complete. Only one way to find out what works best....

Hogan.

Back