When To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupnupnee

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trolling the forums for an answer but con't seem to find one.
I have a larger that has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks. Fermentation slowed down on the 5th day and has been getting slower since. However it is still just bubbling through my air lock. The question is when should I bottle it. The gravity is FG 1.023 OG was 1.067.

Thanks

Tim

G'day,

You shouldn't use the airlock as an indication as to if the fermentation has finished or is still going as there are external factors such as external air pressure, temperature that may cause the airlock to bubble.

You should take readings with a hydrometer after it has been fermenting for over a week. If you get the same reading two or three days in a row then it has finished and it's ready to bottle/keg.

Thanks Muga,

The SG was 1.027 ish 5 days ago and is now 1.023 ish. Can I assume it is finished and ready to bottle.

Thanks

Tim

I'd be inclined to wait a bit longer.
High gravity beers can be a bit tricky as they can tend to stop short of expected FG. This one should be able to get close to 1017, so it should still have a way to go.
The SG should be stable for 48-72 hours before you bottle, so this one is still fermenting.
You may wish to rouse the yeast a little by gently rocking the fermenter from side to side to lift some of the live yeast back into solution.
The important thing is stability of SG though. The same reading for 2-3 days before you bottle.

hupnupnee said:
The SG was 1.027 ish 5 days ago and is now 1.023 ish. Can I assume it is finished and ready to bottle.
[post="79346"][/post]​
The gravity has still dropped down, so it's still working - just slowly, as Bilph said try giving the fermenter a gentle shake to get some of the yeast off the bottom and the SG will probably drop a bit more.

Back