When Is Draught Not Draught?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Count Vorlauf

Reaction score
I've had a friend tell me he was enjoying some draught cider the other night. That, and the proliferation of "Carlton Draught" bottles makes me wonder if I have misunderstood the meaning of the word "draught". It was my understanding that a draught beer was a beer served from a tap.
Or is this just another ruination of technical brewing terminology wrought by the advertising geniuses at Fosters and elsewhere (viz. "Blonde" beer)?

You're right. But the market does seem to think draft is a style now so maybe it is/can be (things are what we call them, right?). Not sure how his cider could be "draught" though?

I've come to the conclusion that the modern interpretation of draught-style beer (now just called draught) means "lager with no taste that is meant to be swilled in large volumes, extremely cold, and extremely fizzy".

Old news. Draught in a can might just cheekily get away with it but basically it's a term that's been misused for decades.

No its just a typo - should read Daft, simple mistake by Fosters.

denoting beer or other drink that is kept in and served from a barrel or tank rather than from a bottle or can : draft beer.

A can is like a mini keg. Also sometimes there is a draught in the house if your missus leaves the door open.

I'm overdraft - gimme a pale.

The word Draught is from old English maybe derived from Latin, the meaning of Draught is to (pull) as in Draught-horse, not like you blokes are doing (quit the pull jokes) any how Draught is a beer term only; a beer that is pulled as in threw a tap or beer engine: re-pump.

The word Draught is from old English maybe derived from Latin, the meaning of Draught is to (pull) as in Draught-horse, not like you blokes are doing (quit the pull jokes) any how Draught is a beer term only; a beer that is pulled as in threw a tap or beer engine: re-pump.

Yes you are right about the word draught but it appears it could have come from old Norse (draht) meaning to pull forward
Draft is the American variant but used in our english as drawing a plan, or original copy of a letter. How the word draught
ever got onto a can or bottle as a style of beer is anyone's guess. Typical of the English language which confuses many people trying to learn it, draught or draft has many meanings :unsure:

Cheers

What about the add where hops, yeast, malt and a stag gets fired into the clouds?

Does that make it draught beer when it starts raining?

My WAG is that breweries had a few products, one packaged, one draught. When they moved the draught style into bottles/cans, they kept the name <Brewery> Draught so that the punters would know which beer was in the bottle.

Ah! Nice one PM. Never understood it but now it makes perfect sense.

Not in my dictionary,

I think it was a reference to the bad marketing furphy pushed by CUB in regards to Carlton draught, which claims to be made from beer.

Sometimes I wonder though if it may actually be true. Maybe all the dregs from all the pots in the 1970s were collected and collated and blended and this practise has continued till today? People do claim Carlton used to taste different.

Yes you are right about the word draught but it appears it could have come from old Norse (draht) meaning to pull forward
Draft is the American variant but used in our english as drawing a plan, or original copy of a letter. How the word draught
ever got onto a can or bottle as a style of beer is anyone's guess. Typical of the English language which confuses many people trying to learn it, draught or draft has many meanings :unsure:

Cheers

Maybe if you bottle from the keg with a counterflow filler - its draught in a bottle ! :icon_cheers:

Maybe if you bottle from the keg with a counterflow filler - its draught in a bottle ! :icon_cheers:

From what I have read on the subject it doesn't relate to cans or bottles only that it is either kegged or in casks not pasteurized in the US but sometimes filtered. In the UK it is can be pasteurized or filtered or both as this process destroys the yeast and gives it a longer shelve life. To my mind the word (draught) as in beer can be taken any which way you like depending on how you want to interpret it. Confusing aint it. :blink: I think I will just have a beer.

What about the add where hops, yeast, malt and a stag gets fired into the clouds?

Does that make it draught beer when it starts raining?

from memory i can't remember seeing yeast that's what i thought the girls were for :p

Latest posts

Back