When do you use gelatine ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloveski

Reaction score
Well a few brews down for me now and I have tried two different ways to use gelatine.

1) Use in the fermenter during cold crash and then rack off to keg.
2) Use gelatine in Keg during racking stage.

For me 1 wins hands down for clarity , I was stuck with no brew left in kegs and tried version 2 as it cuts out 2 days of process and both kegs I tried at certain stages had floaties , most of the time clear but just the odd pour especially if the keg had been left for a few days

I have never had a floatie issue at all when using gelatine in the fermenter always crystal clear.

Anyway just interested in others thoughts if they have noticed any differences?

I don't see a difference, I've done both recently. Are you mixing your gelatin with boiling/almost boiling water? I've seen this to cause clumping in the crystals which also renders them insoluble for whatever reason.

Gelatine used in bottles or kegs = "fluffy bottoms".

Absolutely no reference to altar boys here. :ph34r:

I use gelatin for all lagers and most pale beers. Clarity isn't really necessary to make good beer but I find it much more satisfying to sit down with a crystal clear beer than a murky homebrewesque beer which has me doubting whether it's completely settled. Much like a good head - you don't need it, but it's a better experience with it.

Bribie G said:
Gelatine used in bottles or kegs = "fluffy bottoms".

Absolutely no reference to altar boys here. :ph34r:
if your getting fluffy bottoms your using too much. try a lower dose. I'm currently at about 5g per 20L

what is this Gelatine thing you talk of?

Doesn't reduce hop haze so Ive never used it.. (nor wanted to reduce hop haze)

..wanders off dropping the fridge to below zero on a murky AF IIPA...

Never... got sick of the fluffy bottoms and switched to isinglass for more of a hard arse :p :lol:

Horses hoofs in my beer never

As I sing Rolling Stones Time is on my side yes it is yes it is

Fluffy bottoms suggest you are cooking the gelatin (or you have different sexual preferences as the case may be,) adding to boiling water or bringing it to the boil. When my glass thermometer was broken I would heat it in a pyrex jug until only a couple of stubborn crystals remained undissolved and it worked OK.

But I do it during the cold crash now - don't like the first sludgy beer or two when done in the keg.

Using the kitchen kettle, I boil a couple of hundred ml of bottled (municipal water is shithouse at my joint) water then I go and get a (19L) keg and associated items ready for the transferring of the beer. By this time the boiled water has cooled down a bit, I then pour a couple of hundred ml into a sanitised glass, add half a sachet of gelatine, cover with glad wrap and swirl until the gelatine dissolves. I add this liquid to the keg, purge with Co2, then transfer the (cold-crashed) beer from the FV to the keg.
Finally, I clean up all the mess & spilled beer, look at all the other brew related things that need cleaning and putting away, stop looking at the things wander off and have a beer satisfied with the thought that in a couple of days I'll be pouring the first of many a nice fresh clear beer.

I teaspoonful dissolved in 200 ml of 80 degree pre-boiled water.
Tip into bottom of the keg and rack beer onto it.

Only time I have a fluffy bottom when kegging is when the PRV gets knocked and lets some noise out.

Seriously - I have gelatined and may do so on some beers again.

But I find it a bit like 40psi high pressure forced carbonation. I've tried it, but in both instances a little patience will do the trick.

Though I have been more successful with gelatine than forced carbing.

I've used it in the fermenter and in the keg, both work well. I use the microwave technique, I'd say the trick is to figure out the microwave setting which works to get your given volume to 80. Also I've found leaving it to sit cold for a while is critical to not getting undissolved chunks.

At the moment I've got a keg of WPL001 IPA which I didn't gelatin in my keezer and damn that thing is like drinking yeast soup. Think I might pop the lid and pour a little bit of jelly in, still want a bit of haze.

I use the microwave as well, but 20-30 second bursts until I heat pastuerisation temperature. I agree that half a teaspoon of gelatin in the cold crash greatly reduces yeasty flavour in the finished beer, even cloudy beers.

Back