When do you start worrying

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
Hi all

Friday night I brewed and pitched Wyeast 1318 (actually it was pitched early Saturday morning)

I have been very patient over the weekend but it doesnt seem to be showing any signs of fermentations starting.

I "glad wrap" so i wont ask the "my airlock isnt bubbling" question.

BUT there is no sign of krausen and no change i the SG as at last night (sunday)
Fridge is set to 19degrees.

How long is too long to wait for something to start.

If I get home and there is still nothing happening do you think I should...

Pick up a satchet of a dry yeast (something that will suit a porter) on my way home and pitch that in???

BnB

Hmm IMO not looking good. Was the smack pack within it's best before period? Did it swell when you activated it? Did you aerate the wort well?

I'd get a couple of packs of the dry yeast just in case.

You could try bumping up the temperature to the max for the strain (23 dec C) and giving it a vigorous stir with a sanitised spoon. Wait till morning, if still nothing then pitch both packs of the dry yeasts.

Just my 2c.

stienberg said:
Hmm IMO not looking good. Was the smack pack within it's best before period? Not sure - but it was a bit old - brought in December but has been in the fridge since. Have thrown the packet out already but I could go fro a dive into the wheeley bin tonight to dig it out. Did it swell when you activated it? A bit but not as much as usual Did you aerate the wort well? Stirred the crap out of it with a sterilised spoon and gave it a really good splash around

I'd get a couple of packs of the dry yeast just in case. Any suggestion on what yeast to get for a Porter?

You could try bumping up the temperature to the max for the strain (23 dec C) and giving it a vigorous stir with a sanitised spoon. Wait till morning, if still nothing then pitch both packs of the dry yeasts. I think the morning will be too late (if it isnt already - it will be virtually 96 hours by then)

Just my 2c.
Thanks for the response - my comments in red above.

I am going to stop at my lhbs Brewers Den in boronia on my way home. Any suggestions on what dry yeast to get for a porter.

1318 is a krausen monster.
Might be a slow start - have you checked the gravity?

Pete doesn't stock wyeast last I saw. Might have a white labs something though.

Didn't check gravity last night...but three was no change in gravity on sunday night.

Picked up a nice safe sachet of us04 from Pete on the way home.

Gave it a big stir and splash with a sterile spoon and pitched last night. Just had a peek before I left this morning and we appear to have lift off with the start of some krausen action.

Now I just need to be patient and see what comes off it. Hopefully no infection or wild yeast took hold.

Thing about Wyeast smackpacks is they can never really be relied on to be pitchable as is. Sure, if you get one that's a month old and you watched it come out of the HBS fridge, put in in an esky and too it home to your fridge ... and it's not a lager yeast (they're even more delicate I've found) then it's cool to smack it and pitch it.

But overall, expecting Wyeast packs to be straight pitchable will eventually (or actually quite quickly) get you into trouble.

It's best to assume the worst with smackpacks: plan on making a starter each time. I split the packs 4 ways and reuse the trub each once. This gives 8 batches from one pack, and 4 starters are needed.

Nick JD said:
Thing about Wyeast smackpacks is they can never really be relied on to be pitchable as is. Sure, if you get one that's a month old and you watched it come out of the HBS fridge, put in in an esky and too it home to your fridge ... and it's not a lager yeast (they're even more delicate I've found) then it's cool to smack it and pitch it.

But overall, expecting Wyeast packs to be straight pitchable will eventually (or actually quite quickly) get you into trouble.

It's best to assume the worst with smackpacks: plan on making a starter each time. I split the packs 4 ways and reuse the trub each once. This gives 8 batches from one pack, and 4 starters are needed.

I agree. The biggest problem with liquid yeast is they lose viability so quickly, that unless the pack is super fresh there is never enough yeast to be able to add it straight. If you look at pitching rate calculators with the diminished viability over time most often two packs are required to achieve an adequate pitching rate. The good thing with the packs though is that even though the viability is low the purity of what is in the pack is good. Therefore you can use a yeast pack that was well outside its date. It may take a week to swell but you know its still viable and it can then be stepped up to a pitch able amount. May have some yeast mutation but generally I have found it to be fine just requires time and patience to step up.

Anyway enough of my ramblings, I hope it does all work out for you, if your sanitation methods were good you will stand a better chance or not having an infection. Look at it as a lesson learn t and think about doing starters when using liquid you will definitely get better results, and if the starters not ready either brew a different beer and use dry yeast or wait.

Definitely do a starter with all liquid yeasts. I picked up a Staropramen yeast which was 8 months out of date dirt cheap at G+G ( i think i paid $5). Made a stepped-up starter, and the ferment was very vigorous even at 10degrees!

Lessons learnt re liquid yeasts -
  • always make a starter
  • use it fresh
  • if your too lazy to make a starter - just use dry yeast.
The "recovery plan" seems to be working.

• 10pm Monday night S04 was pitched
  • 7am bfore i left for work on Tues - signs of krausen starting.
  • 8.30pm Tues krausen is about an 3cm thick and SG has dropped to 1.028 from 1.045OG.
  • Hydro sample tasted good - so no signs of infection getting in so far.

Now the hardest part - more patience and wait and see how the end result goes.

BTW...

This was going to be an interesting experiment anyway -a Cherry Ripe Porter.

Some roasted cacao nibs and coconut went in the boil at 20 mins Planning to rack onto some Morello Cherries in the secondary and maybe some more nibs if the chocolate isnt quite enough.

Fingers crossed it might just work out in the end.

GrumpyPaul

Glad to here its working out. With no infection taking hold you know that your sanitation methods are spot on.
Your cherry ripe porter sounds delicious. I did a raspberry porter using the So4 yeast. Only problem I noticed is it kept gaining carbonation at fridge temperature, it was probable 12 months before the carbonation settled and I noticed no change in the level (I had twist caps so I could let some carbonation out). Originally I thought it may have been due to the fruit but now I am pretty sure was the so4 yeast which I found is great fresh but I wouldn't age. Anyway didn't think the beer aged that well as it lost that fresh raspberry taste and was more of was left with a slight tart tasting porter.

Back