Wheat malt cloudiness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky Dicky

Reaction score
Just kegged a ESB style ale and used 200g in a Biab 19l recipe and it's currently quite cloudy/hazy. It fermented at 22c using 1469, I don't normally have such a cloudy ESB using my normal process. It tastes fine but wondered if it was the wheat causing the cloudiness. BTW I cold crashed for 48 hours prior to kegging.

Unlikely (unless it was unmalted wheat).
A well made wheat wort will be crystal clear, the haze comes from the yeast. Even the name Hefeweizen literally means Yeasty Wheat, the haze comes from a yeast strain that is very slow to flock out.
I routinely use 10% wheat in blond beers, lowers the colour a bit, helps with head....
More likely to be your yeast, if its a home cultured yeast, your culture could have drifted a bit, its easy to pickup a co-infection of a wild yeast that isn't going to change the taste too much but can be hazy, if you can taste any phenolic notes in the beer this is a very real possibility.
1469 usually produces very clear beers, it attenuates and sediments well, assuming its a pure culture I would be looking else ware, and probably not at a very small wheat addition either.
Mark

Back