Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheat malt cloudiness

Discussion in 'Partial Mash Brewing' started by Tricky Dicky, 24/6/19.

1. Tricky Dicky

Posted 24/6/19
    Just kegged a ESB style ale and used 200g in a Biab 19l recipe and it's currently quite cloudy/hazy. It fermented at 22c using 1469, I don't normally have such a cloudy ESB using my normal process. It tastes fine but wondered if it was the wheat causing the cloudiness. BTW I cold crashed for 48 hours prior to kegging.

2. MHB

Posted 24/6/19
    Unlikely (unless it was unmalted wheat).
    A well made wheat wort will be crystal clear, the haze comes from the yeast. Even the name Hefeweizen literally means Yeasty Wheat, the haze comes from a yeast strain that is very slow to flock out.
    I routinely use 10% wheat in blond beers, lowers the colour a bit, helps with head....
    More likely to be your yeast, if its a home cultured yeast, your culture could have drifted a bit, its easy to pickup a co-infection of a wild yeast that isn't going to change the taste too much but can be hazy, if you can taste any phenolic notes in the beer this is a very real possibility.
    1469 usually produces very clear beers, it attenuates and sediments well, assuming its a pure culture I would be looking else ware, and probably not at a very small wheat addition either.
    Mark