wheat brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butisitart

Reaction score
just did my first gf wheat beer, so i combined wheat and barley mash regimes to see how it would go - so mash went...

67% wheat, 33% barley, and a cup or 2 rice hulls

wheat and hulls only-
10 mins @45
10 mins @52

then i added barley and went

30mins @63
30 mins @68
20mins @72

no mash out.

that were a combination of wheat and barley suggestions at forum topic stepped mashing schedules, first posting in that topic.

anybody else do a split for the lower temps? any difference on end result?? my understanding is not to do mod barley at the lower temps, thus the split.

also - got massive amounts of really white foam during mash. (from end of 63 degree rest, onwards). any ideas what that might be?? not chemical as no chemical wash between brews.

I recently did a 60/40 wheat and barley mash and didn't get any more foam than usual.

Only thing I've done is kept salt additions, dark grain and acidulated malt out of the ferrulic acid rest. Mash around 44°C for 10 mins then step up the the next mash temp. I then add any darker grains and appropriate amount of acidulated malt for the sacc rest to target ideal pH levels. This of course depends on your water. The purpose of this is to push 4VG precursors which are desirable in a wheat beer.
Read up on it here: http://beerandwinejournal.com/german-wheat-beer-iii/

IIRC highly modified barley can suffer head retention issues if protein rested for too long. I use less modified pils malt in my hefes and never really considered it an issue (perhaps ignorantly). I think the wheat will also help overcome any protein rest head retention issues... Or do you feel there's more to it than that?

Edit: this article suggests barley is better suited to delivering ferulic acid than wheat: http://allaboutbeer.com/quirks-of-brewing-ferulic-acid-rest/

I actually thought that the 4VC compound came more from barley than wheat. Barley will also benefit from a protein rest. So to be honest there is no reason why you should leave the barley out of the first rests.

Like others I have kept the pH high and the mash stiff for the protein (and acid) then added the acidulated malt for the sacch and extra hotels water. I'm not sure how much difference it would have made. Like many things enzymatic, it is just (theoretically) conditions closer to ideal, so may work faster at higher pH for the protein. Ironically if you're using highly modified malt and/or have your temp wrong this may (incrementally, not noticeably) works against you. Very difficult to measure these things with homebrew setups unfortunately...

wow - lots of info there and it all sounds like good advice - now i just need to go and xref it to work out exactly what you're saying :huh: :D

4 vinyl chloride (I think?) is a major precursor for clove characteristic in a wheat beer.

The acid rest generally achieves two things: makes the mashout more acidic; and brings out this compound. Since it makes the mash more acidic, you're can probably understand why there is a bit of "insignificant and waste of time" about keeping the acid malt out until sacch, but people have tried these things and vary few people could could whether it is quantifiably "better" or not.

Back