Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike

Reaction score
guys,

Can any one tell me if Calton cold or hahn ice are wheat beers ??

Im looking at making one or the other soon and was trying to work out where to start.

your asking for trouble here.
seriously i think cloning these beers is not the right direction you should be taking to make a beer like them. although the swill brewers are looked down upon, making their beer is harder than you would think.
however making beer that is much better is very easy.

basically it takes alot of technolgy, brewing knowledge and brewing techniquies to make a beer so taste less and bland as the swill brewers make. they spend millions on making it taste like it does.
its much easier to make real beer.

anyway these beers are not real wheat beer no matter how much wheat they use.

there are plenty of people here who can offer you a good aussie draught recipe and they will all beat any swill hands down.

sorry if this comes across negative and arogant but this is how it is.

cheers jayse

ps sorry nothing to really offer on the actually recipe.
except look at GMK'S aussie draught recipe.

Ive tried searching for GMK's draught recipe but I cant find it. Has anyone got a kwik link to it.
B)

You won't ask that again in a hurry hey Mike ?
Point is Jayse is 100% correct , after brewing for a while those beers do not go down well at all.

If your new to brewing it may take a little time to get used to true beer , funny how when you talk to people and say you do HB , they will ask...does it taste like VB , Emu Bitter , West End Draught , XXXX , I tell them...I HOPE NOT !

Yeah,

we all need to spend millions making beer taste like the big makers.

Mike,

Calling them wheat beers is very polite of you, but to get that level of blandness you also have to use a lot of corn and rice, but that doesn't make them "sake" or that weird corn beer they make in South America.

Sometimes, I think they even put barley in, but that may just be an urban myth....

On some mornings at Central, when the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can smell the mash from the Broadway brewery. I reckon they do use huge amounts of Barley malt, but then they add double the amount in rice, dextrose and sucrose. They must do - the beers are so thin and sad.

Another thing about the macroswill is that it's dead beer. They pastuerise it to kill the yeast (and destroy any yeasty flavour components and vitamins), filter it to remove the dead beasties then force carbonate it. The result is something that resembles beer... sorta.

Has anyone here ever had a really bad hangover from "normal strength" homebrew? I never have and part of the reason is because brewing yeast is a superb source of Vitamin B. The macros break this down in the pastuerisation/filtering process. Real beer looks after your brain cells as it kills some of them. Megaswill just poisons them.

Hi Guys,

I take it your not a big fan of this beer ??

I was going to make it for a mate who is interested in getting into h/brew.

I talked to the guy at the h/brew shop also today and he reflected your views..so i decided to make him a beermakers xxx instead..

this should be okay ??

:chug: G'day Mike..
Make that Beermakers XXX with 500 Gms Dextrose and
500 Gms of light malt extract.
Boil the lot for 40 minutes and add 10 gms of pride of ringwood hops in the last 5 minutes of the boil...strain it thru a fine strainer into the fermenter and ferment the usual way....rack into 2nd fermenter after 4 days...
Its the best summer drinking brew about...

Cheers

JWB

johnno said:
Ive tried searching for GMK's draught recipe but I cant find it. Has anyone got a kwik link to it.
B)
Better than that, here it is:

Source - GMK's 2001 ACT Competition Recipes

CATEGORY 9 : PALE KIT

Australian Draught 1st place with a score of 120

Equipment:
Coopers Draught
250 gms of Corn Syrup
1 kg of Light Malt
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
Handful of Hallertau Hop Pellets with boil.
Half handful of Hallertau Hop Pellets for dry hopping.

Method:

Boil in a large saucepan 6 litres of water with Handful of Hallertau Hop Pellets, malt and Corn syrup for 20 mins at a rolling boil.
Let stand for a further 10 mins in saucepan.
Add can to sterilised fermenter. Add contents of saucepan to fermenter dont strain.
Stir vigorously adding yeast nutrient then add cold water to 21 litres.
Make a yeast starter with coopers yeast supplied.
After 10 mins, pitch yeast starter into fermenter after checking that yeast is multiplying and OK.
Rack after 5 days ( due to the Coopers yeast being a very vigorous and quick fermenting yeast dry hop with half handful of Heller tau Hop Pellets heated with just boiled water for a couple of mins prior to pitching into fermenter dont mix/stir in. Let stand in the fridge for a further 10 days ( as in Lagering) and then bottle.
I bottle with the beer still cold within half an hour after taking the fermenter out of the fridge. I find this helps greatly to reduce the cloudiness of the finished beer and keeps the frothing down during bottling. Prime as per normal with castor sugar

Note: it takes longer to bottle condition as in to get enough gas into the beer because the beer is cold when bottled.

I have a batch in cold conditioning right now. Very nice stuff - thanks Ken! :)

Cheers,

TL

now that's worth a try

Mike,

If you want to make beer like Carlton, then go for it, dont be put off by what others think because at the end of the day, there only has to be one person satisfied and thats YOU.

Rook

Mike,

I echo therook's comments.

You brew beer for yourself.......not for judges but for your tastes.

Thank You TL for posting that.
And Thank you GMK for the recipe.
So a Draught style is like a lager by the looks of it. At least that clarifies that for me.
Unfortunatley I dont have a spare fridge but I can always try this next winter. It gets pretty cold in the shed out the back.
I'm currently brewing a 2 can coles brand draught using yeast from a coopers pale ale that I propogated.
Its going like crazy in the fermenter sitting at about 22 C.
Looks like its the wrong yeast so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Drinkable I hope.
Ahhh......so much to learn and brew and so little time.

Cheers B)

Well I'll be damned Kenny.... a crow eater supporting a Vic

Rook :)

therook said:
Well I'll be damned Kenny.... a crow eater supporting a Vic

Rook :)
Only in the world of Home Brew....

PostModern said:
On some mornings at Central, when the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can smell the mash from the Broadway brewery. I reckon they do use huge amounts of Barley malt, but then they add double the amount in rice, dextrose and sucrose. They must do - the beers are so thin and sad.
I was sitting at the lights near the Broadway Brewery of CUB and from the cross street, a dirty big tanker (40 ft) came around the corner and snaked straight in to the brewery....down the side of the tanker..."CSR...Making Australia's finest sugar"!!!!!!!!

hope ya werent to suprised linz.its all about getting that unique mass produced taste. :rolleyes:

You've got to lose your innocence one day!

At least they could use the back entrance...they do it to us every time they call it beer ;)

Linz said:
You've got to lose your innocence one day!

At least they could use the back entrance...they do it to us every time they call it beer ;)
That one had me laughing out loud.
:) :) :lol:

Back