Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can ask Mel to send it overnight express with a small icepack.

cheers
reg

Postmodern - One thing I should have advised on the Hoegaarden recipe is that you should use a little raw wheat to give it that real "whit" character. About 250g steeped at around 70C for an hour should do the trick. I haven't tried this myself though. Reg, what do you think?

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Thanks Pete and Reg.

I think I will make the trip up to Peakhurst or Randwick. Which carries the most/best/quickest turned over stock??

Also, with keeping the yeast alive after a brew.... I just racked a black ale and could clearly see the yeast in the trub. I was thinking of scooping some out and just whacking it in the fridge, assuming it would go dormant. Does yeast need some culture or nutrient to stay viable long-term? (the tight-ass in me is just looking for a way to make more than one batch from one lot of yeast without starting the second batch on the trub of the first).

Pete, I think you're right, a partial mash might be worth a go. I guess I'd need to cut back on the DME or add extra water volume? A beer as complex as this will probably need a few months to condition in the bottle, I'd guess, so I may as well spend another week or two cogitating about the recipe.

I haven't tried steeping raw wheat Pete - I've used flaked wheat in a mash (along with flaked barley, rye and oats). Let us know how your recipe turns out.

cheers
reg

Back