Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD T

Reaction score
Well Guys,
2 weeks down the track I have decided on what I will brew in honour of my first son Ben.

I will try a wheat beer as follows;

2.5kg Pilsener Malt
2.0kg German Wheat Malt
0.2kg Caramel Wheat Malt
0.2kg Cara-Pils

9g Vanguard(5.75%AA) 60min.
13g Vanguard(5.75%AA) 15min.
14g Saaz (5.00%AA) 1min
( this should give me an IBU of 10.7)

Wyeast 3068 or Safale K-97 whichever I can get.

Is there anything special I should know in doing a mash for a wheat beer?

Any suggestions or advice on the recipe ( I am using vanguard instead of Hallertauer because that is all that is available at my LHBS at the moment)

Cheers
Brad :beerbang:

Personally, I would swap the amounts of wheat and Pilsner malts. I would got for 60% wheat malt

An IBU of 18 is more the mark witha wheat beer.

Eric Warner in "German Wheat Beer" Classic Beer Styles Series states, for beers with over 50% wheat malt "If an authentic Weissbeer is desired, however, at least a single decoction mash should be employed. the number of breweries that use an infusion mash. . .is exteremely limited"

Jovial Monk

Wyeast 3068 will give you the typical spice/clove/banana flavours and aromas of a German wheat beer.
K-97 is a neutral dry and very clean ale yeast, my guess is that it's a Koelsch yeast, I can't detect anything Weissbierisch with this yeast.

tdh

I agree Jovial Monk on upping the wheat i.e swapping Pils/Wheat.
I am reading the Wheat Beer book (classic series) atm, and i am inspired to make another soon.
Except, im not convinced with decoctions yet.......hmm
And go liquid yeast.........not dried.

BRAD T said:
Well Guys,
2 weeks down the track I have decided on what I will brew in honour of my first son Ben.

I will try a wheat beer as follows;

2.5kg Pilsener Malt
2.0kg German Wheat Malt
0.2kg Caramel Wheat Malt
0.2kg Cara-Pils

9g Vanguard(5.75%AA) 60min.
13g Vanguard(5.75%AA) 15min.
14g Saaz (5.00%AA) 1min
( this should give me an IBU of 10.7)

Wyeast 3068 or Safale K-97 whichever I can get.

Any suggestions or advice on the recipe ( I am using vanguard instead of Hallertauer because that is all that is available at my LHBS at the moment)

Cheers
[post="62220"][/post]​

Hi Brad T.
Congratulations on the birth. It is only fitting to brew a celebratory beer :D

To answer your other question, I would consider a few rice hulls in the mash to assist to prevent a stuck sparge.

Cheers

Hey Brad, sure you wanna make a wheat beer ?
With the new addition to the family, you may wanna consider something high in og !!!!
All the best mate,
(raise my glass) to Ben !!

Brad T and young 'un,

Congrats on the new child and the choice of celebration ale.

May I suggest you bump up the ingredients to make a Weizenbock, which is not only tasty and wheaty, but also a great celebratory Winter drink.

If not, please stick with your original recipe and hopping rate. I make a very nice wheat beer, and mostly use 28g Saaz @ 4% AA for a 60 min boil. Just enough bitterness to balance the malt. Mustn't be too bad, as I have trophies for it.

It will be much better with more than 50% wheat, and a liquid yeast W3068 (Weihenstephan wheat) or W3056 (Bavarian wheat blend) will make it much more special and memorable.

Either way, best of luck and just keep brewing.

Seth :p

According to the BJCP info below the bitterness is perfect for a weizen. Perhaps more wheat in the mix though.

Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.044 - 1.052 1.010 - 1.014 8 - 15 2 - 8 4.3 - 5.6%

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
I will increase the amount of wheat malt to over 50% as suggested, ditch the vanguard hops and increase saaz to 28g for full boil as weizguy suggests( after all he is the man with the trophies).
i will keep my progress posted.

Cheers

Ahh, one other point, for subtle clove notes rhather than fruit salad or bubblegum, pitch the yeast at 12C, ferment no warmer than 18C

JM

Thanks for the tip JM. I will definitely try that in my next wheat beer. The current one does have rather too much banana rather than cloves.
:super:

Jovial_Monk said:
long as it don't have bubblegum, blech :)
[post="62408"][/post]​
Wow, bubblegum! How can I get bubblegum? :D

Is it the yeast, temp, or ingredients?

Sounds a bit like the JS Wheat beer. :beer:

More info please, Mr Monk (not 2 B confused with the detective on television).

Seth :beerbang:

hi weizguy
maybe try the wyeast 3638 bavarian wheat yeast.written up as balance of banana and bubblegum esters etc.im trying this yeast on my next lot of days off.
sorry for the hijack brad t.

cheers
big d

Back