Wheat beer with US hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
I have stacks of Amarillo, Bravo, Cascade and Summit. I also have some Danstar Munich yeast. BB Ale, BB Pale, Wheat, Caramunich and Caramalt. This is going to be my 1st crack at a wheat beer. Just wondering if any of the more experienced wheaties can see a half decent recipe with what i have in stock. I will be doing a single infusion mash.
Cheers
Silver

ben_sa said:
Exactly how much of the abovementioned grains do you have?

Also, do you have any yeast on hand?
Plenty of each. I brew 27 ltr batches.

You could do a 50% Ale malt 50% wheat with any of those hops early to 20IBU. Single infusion at about 64 or 65. The yeast is the thing in my opinion with a wheat beer. 3068 or something of that nature is good. WB06 is well liked by some on here if you want a dry yeast. I have always been advised that the yeast is the trick with a wheat and dependent upon ferment temperature you can influence what it throws such as banana or cloves. By no means an expert but have brewed a couple of nice ones.

"Wheat Beer" is a term like "Ale". Okay, maybe not quite that broad, but too broad to be used in the is context without having any real meaning.

The European wheat beers don't have any hops flavours in them - only enough to balance the sweetness of the grains.

American wheat beers are basically APAs with quite a bit of wheat in them.

The yeast you have will make a sad version of a hefeweizen. Buy a proper liquid yeast, as hefeweizens are 99% about the yeast.

Google BJCP style guide. Check out the beers with wheat in them. Basically, you can leave the wheat out of them and they are still easily identifiable as "wheat beers".

American Wheat, an example being Murray's Whale Ale, is excellent brewed with 50/50 barley and wheat malts and American hops to your taste, using good old US-05 or Wyeast equivalents.

One of my house brews. I hate Euro Wheats, to me they taste either like blue or pink toilet blocks.

Yep 50/50 wheat/ale, My normal hop schedule is a single 60min addition to about 14ibu... (i use hallertau) I reckon the bravo or summit would suit your needs fine :)

WB06 or 3068 would both suit fine, ive made the same recipe with both to great results.

Cheers

Edit: i should have been more specific and asked WHICH yeasts you have on hand
Ed2: Surely you can find someone to throw you some hallertau (typical wheat hop)... in my 23L batches i only need 25g approx to get my desired ibu... could always do them a swap

General concensus, 50/50 wheat/ale malt, bitter 14 to 20 ibu will go with Bravo hop. No fans of Danstar Munich?? I do have us-05 and s-04 but think i'll go DM for the hell of it. I now have the option to ferment with controlled temps but have made a lot of nice beers fermented at ambient. I plan to dump yeast in at ambient 25C ish then put FV fitted with blow off tube into 20C fridge.

Shock Top wheat IPA. By most accounts, pretty ordinary, but a 'wheat IPA' none the less.
Just hop the shit out of it, use your US05 and see what happens.

I don't care much for 'traditional' wheats myself, but you're either making one or your not.

1884.jpg

All decent advice up there about proper wheats.

However, with what you have on hand... Why not try making a hopfen Weisse. It's basically a wheat hopped late ;)

Try either Amarillo or cascade, don't hop it too high though, that yeast you've got is pretty subdued. Won't take a lot of hops to overpower it.

Bribie G said:
American Wheat, an example being Murray's Whale Ale, is excellent brewed with 50/50 barley and wheat malts and American hops to your taste, using good old US-05 or Wyeast equivalents.

One of my house brews. I hate Euro Wheats, to me they taste either like blue or pink toilet blocks.
I brewerd something similar a couple of months ago. Essentially a 50/50 wheat/pils, hopped with amarillo to 20IBU's (from memory) and used some wy2112 I had on hand.

The keg didn't last long as it was the tap my mates kept going back to. Real easy drinker.

Yup look up the style american wheat. Byo has a great wheat ipa recipe from their nov edition or there are recipes in threads not the database since its not currently working.

Single infusion isnt the best with wheat beers but no poiny attempting step mashes if your skills arent up to that yet.

Back