Wheat Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gulf Brewery said:
Ross

Part of the process to get the cloudiness and profile of a wit is to chuck a handful or two of raw wheat into the kettle. Dunno if that would work with torrefied as the stuff that I have seen doesn't crack easily and floats on the top.

As for the text you quoted, a quick google shows that as coming from Keystone Homebrew in the USA. Did you find anyone else saying to substitute torrified for raw? The place we normally see torrified wheat is for assisting head retention, especially in british beers.

Where did you source your torrefied wheat from? Do you know if it is manufactured in Oz?

Cheers
Pedro
[post="105494"][/post]​

Pedro,

Radical brewing says you can use it instead & here is the link which states it retains all the raw wheat flavour.. http://www.brewingtechniques.com/bmg/grain.html
The stuff I have is from Fawcetts UK. Used it as I didn't want to play around with stepped mashes on this occaision. I understand that raw wheat is probably how the Belgians do it, but from all my reading, this seemed a perfectly acceptable substitute & better than using just malted wheat (Though Andrewqld's brew with malted is excellent).
I've only raised the questions as TDH questioned my reasons for using it - I've asked him by pm what difference it makes, but all I got in reply was "Belgian Wit brewers use raw wheat".

Anyway, I made it that way & it tastes good, which I guess is what counts :) ...

cheers Ross...

FWIW,
My wits with raw wheat in the mash have been the clearest beers I have ever made.

Easiest way to cruch raw wheat is to mix it with the barley and run them through the mill together. Cracks the wheat nicely.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Easiest way to cruch raw wheat is to mix it with the barley and run them through the mill together. Cracks the wheat nicely.

I was wondering about that, but coz I've not tried it yet, wasn't gonna say anything.
So it does work.
Thanks Darren.

totally with Darren on that one
the raw wheat is a pain because it's DAMN hard and you seem to need a closer crush
heaps easier mixed, especially for us poor hand cranked crushers
Burgul (spelling?) is great because it's already cracked perfectlyView attachment 5739
But it's been cracked how long ago?
Fresh is best i reckon but it's a damn handy 2nd place.
(In ADL Gaganis Bros have Burgul as well as View attachment 5740 :) )
Great for Stouts and Porters.
Burgul is used for a great dish Kibbi, so Middle Eastern and maybe Greek shops.

Gulf Brewery said:
Part of the process to get the cloudiness and profile of a wit is to chuck a handful or two of raw wheat into the kettle. Dunno if that would work with torrefied as the stuff that I have seen doesn't crack easily and floats on the top.
[post="105494"][/post]​

I've heard that a couple of tablespoons of wheat flour in the last 15 minutes of the boil will achieve a similar effect (haze in the finished beer) too. IIRC It was Jeff Renner in the US who suggested this. :unsure:

Warren -

BTW

Our middle Eastern grocer has Bourghul in 2 grades. Standard (pale) and wholemeal (dark brown).

I'm inclined to think that the dark stuff would be very interesting in a Stout or Robust Porter . I intend to try it when the weather gets a little warmer. :beerbang:

Warren -

Since spring is coming and I liked very much the last wheaty I made I think it is time for another.

Hopefully a couple more weekends and I will be ok to brew again.

Need to make a wit as well. May stop off at G&G tomorrow for some yeast.

cheers
johnno

Don't wait 2 long between wheaties. U will hate yrself for it.

For spring, I recommend a weizen, or an American wheat as a lawnmower beer.

I need to start making weizen so I can have a keg of it throughout Summer, for visitors, of course.

And, of course, a Wit or two, using WLP410.
and maybe a honey wheat using US56.

There's enough suggestions for U for a while. When U get bored, start making fruit wheats. Mmmm, raspberry weizen, or Kiwifruit Yank wheat. I'm becoming emotionally erect.

Ask me (email or pm), I'm the (self-proclaimed) Weizguy! Testify. :beerbang:

Seth out :p

Don't wait 2 long between wheaties. U will hate yrself for it.

For spring, I recommend a weizen, or an American wheat as a lawnmower beer.

Testify. :beerbang:

Seth out :p

I testify!

What I once thought was very average I now know is very good.
(Weizen)

Hopefully soon I will be making it.

cheers
johnno

Latest posts

Back