Wheat Beer Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Ross, Im just glade theres some left ;)

Ok a question for the wheat lovers.

Am going to do my first extract recipe, and been as well, wheat styles are my fav, thats where i'm going to start.

Kegging, so batch is 19 litres
Yeast 3068
2.25 kg muntons wheat spray malt LDME (target 4.0 -4.5% alcohol)
probably hallertauer 10 grams for 60, 10 grams for 10min. Amounts subject to change to achieve 12ibu in 19 litres (not sure of the alpha acids of whats available at my HBS)
brew temp 24c

2 questions
i see lots of wheat recipes will use straight LDME as well as wheat - just wondering what effect using all muntons ldme wheat will be?

I understand that a 60 minute boil extracts maximum bitterness, but why the 10 minute boil? (I've just put it in coz I think i should!)

I've gone for a low bitterness, given that I can use a kit for bittering if i wanted to go 17-20.

cheers & thx for any feedback

Hi Ross, Belgian Wit is made with unmalted wheat. Why did you decide to use malted and gelatinised wheats?

tdh

tdh said:
Hi Ross, Belgian Wit is made with unmalted wheat. Why did you decide to use malted and gelatinised wheats?

tdh
[post="105255"][/post]​

My understanding was that torrified wheat was an acceptable substitute for raw wheat?

Cheers Ross

Ross said:
My understanding was that torrified wheat was an acceptable substitute for raw wheat?

Cheers Ross
[post="105258"][/post]​

Ross

You really need the raw wheat to get a dry tartness about it and also the cloudiness. The is a fair bit of info in the Belgian Ale book if you can get your hands on a copy.

Cheers
Pedro

Where does everyone get their dried orange peel, I have been looking at the supermarkets for the past couple of week but with no luck :(

Do people dry their own?

pharmaboy said:
Ok a question for the wheat lovers.

Am going to do my first extract recipe, and been as well, wheat styles are my fav, thats where i'm going to start.

Kegging, so batch is 19 litres
Yeast 3068
2.25 kg muntons wheat spray malt LDME (target 4.0 -4.5% alcohol)
probably hallertauer 10 grams for 60, 10 grams for 10min. Amounts subject to change to achieve 12ibu in 19 litres (not sure of the alpha acids of whats available at my HBS)
brew temp 24c

2 questions
i see lots of wheat recipes will use straight LDME as well as wheat - just wondering what effect using all muntons ldme wheat will be?

I understand that a 60 minute boil extracts maximum bitterness, but why the 10 minute boil? (I've just put it in coz I think i should!)

I've gone for a low bitterness, given that I can use a kit for bittering if i wanted to go 17-20.

cheers & thx for any feedback
[post="105254"][/post]​

Using all muntons wheat dme is fine as it is a blend of around 60/40 pale and wheat any way.Not 100% wheat.

The 10 minute addition is jut for flava/character and will do bugger all for bitterness.

At least u are using the correct yeast to get the flava profile

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

PM the weizguy, he is the guru of extract wheats and very helpful if asked :)

Jye said:
Where does everyone get their dried orange peel, I have been looking at the supermarkets for the past couple of week but with no luck :(

Do people dry their own?
[post="105263"][/post]​

Jye,

The Chinese supermarket at Logan Hyperdome sells it, or I've got some here you can have...

cheers Ross

Jye said:

Do people dry their own?
[post="105263"][/post]​

Jye,

Posted a previous in this thread re orange peel and corriander. Tried supermarket style preserved peel and picked out the orange bits, used 50g, 10 min boil. I don't like the taste, find it tart and too much to the fore. Have seen a previous thread re use of chinese dried orange peel and bought some of this from a chinese grocers. Also been drying orange peel on a fridge rack in the shed for a couple of months. Think some use fresh grated orange peel. Am ready to attempt another and I would also like to see comments from those experienced in using orange in wheaties.

Beers

After the big rap from Brauluver, I thought that I should chime in.

I find the orange peel to be a minor flavour, and mostly there for bitterness (as the Belgians historically were held to ransom for hops and malt by the monopolist Germans, and topped up their grain bill with raw wheat, their hop flavour with coriander and their hop bitterness with bitter orange peel, which they could source cheaply).

Anyway, most of my flavour comes from the coriander and flavour Saaz.

For orange peel, have tested some Chinese orange peel given to me by Borret (thanks, buddy). Have also peeled fresh oranges with a potato peeler, to leave the pith behind, and added to the brew without pre-drying. I took some advice from Eric Young in an old Ausbeer magazine, and used Valencia orange, but have since used Navel on one occasion. I think that you will get more volatiles from the orange peel if you use it fresh. Am happy if someone wants to let me know why fresh peel is a bad thing, if U can give me a valid reason. I am no expert, and have relied on the sage advice of others which has worked 4 me, and am happy to advise of my experience. Hope this helps.

I may have mentioned this some time ago, but U can use orange flower (similar to rose water) from the health food shop. It may not be traditional, but it seems to help.

Re wheat malt extracts: As wheat beers have been my faves since early daze, I have some knowledge of brewing with LME and DME (malt and wheat malt). Liquid malt seems to leave less body in the beer, so if U prefer a drier wheat style, please use it. You can increase body and mouthfeel (residual sugars) by combining liquid and dry malt extracts. However, my best estimate of a true imported Weizen, made from extract has involved Muntons Wheat DME and Muntons light spraymalt (DME) at 60/40 ratio, and I have some trophies to support this. Only once did I try all wheat DME, and produced an infected beer. Sad to admit, but there's no point being dishonest. Maybe I'll try it again soon.

The most important thing is use the right yeast. Can't normally go wrong with W3068 (Weihenstephan Wheat). There may exceptions, so I allow for those. I concede that these beers may need to be fermented cool, say 16-20C, but can still be fermented at higher temps, if U have little temp control, as they don't produce a lot of fusels.

I'm off now to make a mid-strength extract wheat. Byeee...

Seth out :p

i've been using dried mandarine peel
dries fairly quickly and less pith
as far as I can tell, it'd dried to prevent spoilage during storage
fresh works fine
if you can, try a zester. easier than a peeler and you get long strands of peel with bigger surface area.

When using fresh do you need to add more to account for the water content that is lost through drying, say 50g of fresh in place of 30g dried?

Short answer, yes probably.

yeah you do need to increase a little although i reckon you get more oils with fresh.

at the end of my boil i usually pour a little off and have a taste, then add more finishing hops or spice etc. if needed.

edit- be careful though, too much orange can very quickly overpower your lovely yeast flavours

Apologies if I drift a little O/T here but I'm working on a partial mash wheat beer in Promash, after having found a tin of Brewiser Wheat Beer in the back of the cellar.

How much wheat is in this kit? Is there much or is it mainly cheap malt extract and a touch of wheat to aid head retention etc? I'm thinking of using an ale malt as the base with some Weyermann flaked wheat and carapils and a decent couple of slugs of Hallertau to hop it all.

Any info appreciated on the Brewiser wheat kit.

Cheers,
TL (Cleaning out the dusty shelves!)

TL,

I've brewed one of those kits (way back), and it may have been reformulated by now, but I believe it was mostly wheat LME and iso-hop. It may not contain the hop flavour U want, but U can fix that.

I reckon that a partial mash will help, but if the can is out of date, it may well taste odd, wrong, funny, off, metallic or bad.

Back to the oranges...I only peel one orange for each batch. I also have a zester that I forget each time a brew a wit, even though I would use it if I remembered.

Seth out :p

I agree with Tangent and Weizguy,
Just make your own. This time of year it will dry in a day (in the South anyhow). I have also tried the chinese shop peel. Looks like it is dusted in sugar (or mould) and has none of the flavour of freshly dried peel.

cheers
Darren

Here is a pic of my Wit kegged two days ago and after 7 days of cold conditioning in a cube at 4c, as you can see it is plenty cloudy even though I use wheat malt and not wheat. And beleive me it is very dry and Tart. I know that purists will say that wheat malt is a no no, but it makes for an easier and faster brew day and IMHO I think the results are great :D .
wit_008.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

Darren said:
I agree with Tangent and Weizguy,
Just make your own. This time of year it will dry in a day (in the South anyhow). I have also tried the chinese shop peel. Looks like it is dusted in sugar (or mould) and has none of the flavour of freshly dried peel.

cheers
Darren
[post="105323"][/post]​

Sounds like you picked up some candied peel there Darren.
No sign of dust on the peel I have & once rehyrated the aroma was gorgeous...

Guess I was lucky, or you were unlucky...

cheers Ross

Back