Wheat Beer Recipe Critic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twenty

Reaction score
Hello everyone, got most of the ingredients for a wheat beer to brew on the weekend. Thinking something similar to a hoegaarden.

1.7kg can thomas coopers wheat
1kg can liquid wheat malt
300g glucose/dex or maybe be1
18g corriander seeds crushed
2 oranges rinds
WB-06 - (craftbrewer wiezen yeast)

Going to boil the oranges for 20min and coriander seeds for 10mins in a couple of litres of water. Then usual method for a kit.
Any opinions?
Do i need any hop additions? just thought a wheat beer is ment to pretty light in the hops department.

Also i ahve a sachet of us56 and need a recipe to go with it. I was thinking alone the lines of a American Pale Ale, a blonde or even a darker ale, anyone have any good recipe's.
I have had a look around an most recipe's with us56 are a JS amber ale replica.

Thanks Glenn

Hello everyone, got most of the ingredients for a wheat beer to brew on the weekend. Thinking something similar to a hoegaarden.

1.7kg can thomas coopers wheat
1kg can liquid wheat malt
300g glucose/dex or maybe be1
18g corriander seeds crushed
2 oranges rind and juice
WB-06 - (craftbrewer wiezen yeast)

Going to boil the coriander seed and oranges for 20min in a couple of litres of water. Then usual method for a kit.
Any opinions?
Do i need any hop additions? just thought a wheat beer is ment to pretty light in the hops department.

Also i ahve a sachet of us56 and need a recipe to go with it. I was thinking alone the lines of a American Pale Ale, a blonde or even a darker ale, anyone have any good recipe's.
I have had a look around an most recipe's with us56 are a JS amber ale replica.

Thanks Glenn
WB06 is a weizen, or German wheat, yeast. It won't give you the character of a wit, which is what hoegaarden is.
To get that you would want either a liquid belgian wit yeast or else t58 belgian ale works ok...

I do a similar beer. I think WLP410 is the best yeast to use... if you can find it. WLP400 would be next in line.

Hi there, I assume you want a recipe "Critique"
I am not sure that wheat yeast will produce anything like Hoegaarden, reculture some fro a couple of Hoegaarden bottles.
only boil the coriander for 10 mins
dont known abotu the orange juice, id say leave that out, just use the rind

WB06 is a weizen, or German wheat, yeast. It won't give you the character of a wit, which is what hoegaarden is.
To get that you would want either a liquid belgian wit yeast or else t58 belgian ale works ok...

I might give the t58 a go instead then. i wanted to keep it to dried yeast as i haven't made the step up to using and reculturing liquid yeast yet.

Ordering from Craftbrewer you get 2 packs. Any other good uses for the t58 yeast???

I am not sure that wheat yeast will produce anything like Hoegaarden, reculture some fro a couple of Hoegaarden bottles.

i knew that spelling looked wrong and i even tried to get it in word. Just dont know how to change it now.
Point taken on the coriander seeds and oranges.

Ordering from Craftbrewer you get 2 packs. Any other good uses for the t58 yeast???
T58 is good as a belgian ale yeast. You can use it for any sort of belgian ale really. It won't give the specific character of proper belgian ale yeasts but it is a good substitute.
It also works well as a fruit beer yeast, if you like that sort of thing.

i'd rather go with the wheat yeast, i know you won't get the hoegaarden effect without a Wit yeast but you'd get more esters than the T58 surely?

i'd rather go with the wheat yeast, i know you won't get the hoegaarden effect without a Wit yeast but you'd get more esters than the T58 surely?
For approaching more a hoegaarden, I'd still say the t58. The wb06 for me would push it too far towards a german wheat. Which, while making a very nice beer, wouldn't be what he was aiming for if going for a hoegaarden type thing.
Thinking about it further, the absence of any raw wheat in their would mean that he would be unlikely to get any wit character at all, beyond the coriander, which would make it potentially a better choice to go the wb06 and make a german wheat beer full stop.

Chad from on here recently made a wit with k97, and he's won some medals with it, and it was a very very nice wit, which would suggest that the spice and raw wheat are more important components than the yeast...

So, I'd say go the wheat yeast to make a nice wheat beer, t58 for closer to the wit as it does have a spiciness for me, but not expecting something too close unless some raw wheat gets in there...

reading back Glanns post he never mentions Hoegaarden just wheat beer and nothing about any Belgian influence.
Seems a lot of beginners like to add coriander and orange to anything with wheat written on it.

Medals eh? :rolleyes: then it must be the right thing to do.

culturing from a Hoegaarden bottle wont do you any good, as they bottle with a different strain than their primary yeast. probably just a generic lager yeast or something that will condition while its under cold storage.

Seems a lot of beginners like to add coriander and orange to anything with wheat written on it.

Yes i have found alot of recipes trying to replicate a hoegaarden using the above ingredents but haven't been able to find alot more in the wheat style from a kit point of view. So yes i have taken these ideas as they have been sucessful in the past.

Im not partial in making a german wheat beer or a belgian wit, i just want to make a good beer in this broad style. (dont know enough about the differences as of yet) At the moment im getting that i can use either one a it should turn out pretty decent.

reading back Glanns post he never mentions Hoegaarden just wheat beer and nothing about any Belgian influence.

Medals eh? :rolleyes: then it must be the right thing to do.
Except maybe this bit?...
It is true that the wheat/coriander orange combo is a common one. I think that is mainly because it is bandied about in 'clone' recipes for kits a lot...
I know, medals, true to style according to a judge but...
I tasted it as part of our christmas in July case swap and it was a very very nice beer. I mainly mention the medals because making a very good witbier with k97 flies in the face of everything I ever read and thought about the style of beer...

I was in the same boat last year. I didnt know the difference between a Wheat Beer and a Wit Beer. I now make both and use WB06 in Wheat and T58 in Wits with Coriander and orange peel. Put a Wit down last weekend. The SG samples taste bloody great.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. Twenty - have a read of the Style of the Week for Wit thread.

Edit: You dont need the juice from the orange

Thanks everyone for there responses. Yeast aside, does the rest of the recipe look half decent?? should i have any extra hops in there?

Glenn

whoops, missed the hoegaarden quote.
Glenn, i like your original idea. I think it's solid, but would 1/2 the coriander and orange zest additions.
We can all tweak it to our preferences but in the end it's your tastebuds that have to be kept happy.

edit - also, if you really want a Hoegaarden taste, buy a Wit liquid yeast. You definitely won't be dissapointed.
It's the same as using a dry yeast, only instead of ripping open the packet and pouring it in, you pop the starter, wait for a while, then rip open the packet and pour in. Easy as!

If you can't get the new yeast in time, go with the WB06 and ferment very cool. It may still be too phenolic (clovey), but less aggressive and estery than at higher temps.

Back