Wheat beer questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctormcbrewdle

Reaction score
I've done quite a few wheats but this was my first step mash. I took a recommendation to go 49 degrees, 62, 69, 78 mash out, looking forward to seeing if I note any difference

Any tips on my next wheat?

Last edited:
First up would be to decide which type of Wheat beer you want to make.
The link philrob has posted is excellent if you want to make Bavarian Weissbier. Leaving the lighter crisper Bohemian styles, sour Berliners being a subset and the interesting Belgian styles, among others.

If you want to make Bavarian Weissbier probably the best known is Weihenstephan, the yeast for it is probably the most available to (W3068 or equivalent). The complex Decoction mash regime above works, it provides the Glucose needed if you want to amp up the Banana. I have spoken to the researcher who did the original work and even he said he wouldn't do it if he wasn't brewing under the Reinheitsgebot and that just adding 15-20g/L of Glucose (Dextrose) would achieve the same effect without a lot of effort.
If you want to maximise the fruity esters its probably better to mash in over 55oC, I have also noticed that German Wheat Malt works a lot better for Bavarian Wheat Beer than does Australian, personally I would go with all German malt. Use Hallertau Mittlefruh for bittering only, keep the IBU's very low (14-18IBU). Use very soft water, probably keep the Ca in the 50-100ppm range and more Chloride than anything else. Drink the beer young and fresh, seven days in the fermenter, seven days maturation and drink the beer in the next week, or two at most works really well for Hefe.

One of my favorite beers, mind you some of the Belgian wheats are well worth a go.
Mark

Hefeweisen is what got me into home brewing, I'm intrigued by the PDF philrob posted, as it has no beta rest and to my mind wouldn't provide a lot of fermentable sugars in the short time it takes.

I'm still going to give it a go though.

Hefeweisen is what got me into home brewing, I'm intrigued by the PDF philrob posted, as it has no beta rest and to my mind wouldn't provide a lot of fermentable sugars in the short time it takes.

I'm still going to give it a go though.
It's hard to decipher and I may have read it wrong but it looks like they split off the mash 70:30 and do a beta rest with the majority at 63c then add the cold portion of mash to drop the temp back to 40 and then ramp up.

Or the other way around not 100% I think that's what the red and green lines were. Looked like 2 mashes going on.

Pretty interesting mash schedule, be cool to see how it turns out!

It's a split decoction, the first small decoction is used to make Maltose, it is then added back to the main mash but the mix is way cooler than normal so Maltase works, turns Maltose into 2 Glucose sugars.
Without looking it up I think Maltase is denatured around 45oC, works best at a higher pH than do A&B Amylase. Its been around for something like 10 years now, maybe more. Sort of thing people do once, after that its just too time consuming so add some dextrose.
Mark

It's a split decoction, the first small decoction is used to make Maltose, it is then added back to the main mash but the mix is way cooler than normal so Maltase works, turns Maltose into 2 Glucose sugars.
Without looking it up I think Maltase is denatured around 45oC, works best at a higher pH than do A&B Amylase. Its been around for something like 10 years now, maybe more. Sort of thing people do once, after that its just too time consuming so add some dextrose.
Mark
I'm certainly going to give it a go, I may incorporate the lower temperature decoction/rest into my regular practice, I'm interested to see how it turns out without a beta rest and short rests at the lower temperatures.

Latest posts

Back