Wheat Beer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tui

Reaction score
Hi all,

So Im having a crack at a wheat beer

Morgans Wheat tin
Brew Cellar No11 booster
Mauribrew Weiss Yeast
in the fermenter at 1020 @ 20deg
I have tinkered a little by adding some lemon peel, orange peel & about 4g of ground up corriander seed.

How will this change my brew?

I am on my 3rd brew, so i cant offer anythng. but i am curious about an OG of 1020. Is this gonna be too watery/very low alc?

I understood that 1040 was the min for the OG?

Not sure what you mean by min OG here jimmy. Do you mean minimum for the style?

If you just mean minimum og in general, then there's no such thing. Gravity can be anything we want it to be. If your doing a light beer for example, the og won't be 1040.

If you are talking about minimum for the style guidelines, then i wouldn't know. I've never done a wheat beer, as i don't like wheat beers.

FLAME SUIT IS DONE UP TIGHT.

Really, really don't like drinking wheats...

EDIT: got sidetracked.....
However, i do agree that an OG of 1020 is VERY light on....something's not right there (unless he's got a hundred litres of it fermenting).

I am on my 3rd brew, so i cant offer anythng. but i am curious about an OG of 1020. Is this gonna be too watery/very low alc?

For a start. Yes 1.020 is extremely low (probably looking at around 2% abv) but would like to know how you worked it out because I am pretty certain you should achieve higher than that with the ingredients list provided. ??

sorry for my lysdexia rechecked my post & then recheck my brew book 1030 not 1020

Well the tin alone would get you over1020 OG.You must be reading it wrong or it is broken.

You can check it with water which should read 1000 sg

You should get some flavour from the peels and seed.Not my cuppa but if you like that sort of thing.

Get it in and once its done bottle and let age up for a month and see how it goes.

Cheers

aren't wheat beers supposed to be drunk fresh, as opposed to ageing, or is that just an all grain thing?

I was under the impression that a wheat beer is the fastest to make, and ready to drink the earliest.

yeah its been a while between beers so this one will be run through its paces then kegged force carbed & on tap ASAP :chug:

The bottles won't carb up for around 2 weeks, 2 more is still fresh.

I think by young beers they mean don't leave them for 6-12 months to mature. I have a wheat beer in its 3rd week bottled.. Should come up nice!

what if you're a kegger though? (like me, and the OP)

2 weeks or more for me, and my kegs are pretty much dry.

but then again, i do have a problem.... :icon_cheers:

Go for it! The only reason I didn't keg my wheat is because I haven't finished my keezer! Picking up 3 more kegs on the weekend actually!

I kegged my first brew on the weekend at SWMBO's dads house, and it came out pretty nice!

But back on topic, I think some additions would be nice.. I'd probably play around with yeasts and see what the differences are first.. (on my list of things to do)..

I think about a month in the bottle would be the perfect time to start drinking, by adding ingredients such as the peels and coriander seed surely you are looking to freshen your beer up a bit?

aren't wheat beers supposed to be drunk fresh, as opposed to ageing, or is that just an all grain thing?

I was under the impression that a wheat beer is the fastest to make, and ready to drink the earliest.

I give my wheats 2 weeks in primary, then keg, chill, carb and put on tap right away.

I think about a month in the bottle would be the perfect time to start drinking, by adding ingredients such as the peels and coriander seed surely you are looking to freshen your beer up a bit?

just experimenting with the flavour profile a little, trying to work out what I like & dont like & how to improve on a wheat beer. I would like to try making a more spicy wheat beer anyone got any sugestions??

what if you're a kegger though? (like me, and the OP)

2 weeks or more for me, and my kegs are pretty much dry.

but then again, i do have a problem.... :icon_cheers:

I have the same problem Nath.

Bloody kegs keep running out before the next one is carbed up and ready :)

What sort of spicy flavours?

I think some yeasts impart spicy flavours - found this on craft brewer - more seasoned brewers, feel free to correct/inject your experienced views here.. I'm in over my head and keen to learn as well :)

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=1636

Yes many yeasts let more spicy characters shine through such as the one you suggested. There are many hops that have an earthy/spicy flavour and aroma such as styrian goldings.

You needto make a decision.

Do you want to brew either of these:
1. Bavarian Wheat Beer, eg Hefeweizen
2. Belgian Wit

Either of these need the appropriate yeast to give you the results for the style you have selected.
No.2 is the only one where you would use citrus peel and coriander.

Haven't ever come across Mauribrew Weiss Yeast. I seriosuly doubt it's a Belgian style yeast, as Weiss is the German word for white, so more likely to be aimed at No.1.

Whatever, you'll make a Belgian inspired sort of wheat beer.
Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be OK.
Enjoy!

I quiet like my wheat brews.. Go down a treat. Most start around 1.055ish and settle to 1.010ish. Keg, chill overnight at 1deg then force carb @300psi and shake the pissa out of it. (normally to twice in 2days. ). Last one I shook up a bit. I added 3 minced up bananas and pushed temp to 26deg. Was beautiful. Spice from coriander seeds but a slight mellow banana taste that held on the tongue. Let's just say a keg didn't last long!

Current one I just up into a fermenter wAs a bees knees knock off... But extra honey (+400gm) and brew enhancer 1 x 500gm. Sg was approx 1.066. Used pride of ringwood hops. Steeped for 15min. Tastes good outta the pot... Just have to wait till it does it's thing now... This is the bit that sucks... The waiting for the creation to grow.........

Nath, there are wheats and there are wheats.

I hate Belgian and German wheats, they taste like trough lollies smell - my first job in Oz was as a pub cleaner and in those days the blocks used to stink out the whole ground floor, not that the sugar mill workers and railway guys minded, place looked like a toilet anyway with the old tiled walls....... yech I can smell it now.

So last year I was in Newcastle and MHB raced me over the road for a pint or two, and shoved a Murrays Whale Ale in my direction "Wheat". I took a suspicious taste and it was excellent. It's my house beer now. Half and half wheat malt and barley malt, some bittering and Cascade to finish, and an American Ale yeast.

It's all in the yeast, I'd recommend it to anyone for a really nice easy drinking "bready" tasting pint.

Latest posts

Back