Wheat Beer Mishap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ads7

Reaction score
Hi

I did a wheat beer on thursday (morgans liquid yeast and liquid malt). The problem is I didn't add all the liquid mal( late, in a rush thought I added it all). Is it too late to add honey or dextrose? What should I do? I spent some bucks on this batch cause I wanted a nice beer. I woulda posted earlier but works been flat out.

Thanks

Adam

My vote is taht you can put it in.. but do it as carefully as possible as you cannot afford to aerate your beer at this point.
Your biggest problem will be in getting the gloop away from being in a big deep puddle on the bottom of the fermentor. Sterilise your brew spoon, and stir like mad - but without splashing around the surface. Maybe another stir a few hours later would be beneficial too.

good luck :)

dreamboat

Yes, add it in today.

At this stage you do not want any extra oxygen in it.

You could follow Dreamboat's suggestion, or do the following:

Run out about three litres of your brew out of the fermenter into a saucepan. Heat this up to boiling. Remove from heat, add your malt or sugar, stir till dissolved, put the lid almost all the way back on, simmer for a few minutes, watching carefully so it doesn't boil over, turn off heat and put lid on fully, cool in the sink with afew changes of water, making sure water does not splash around the lid and rim of saucepan, wipe off cooling water, pour wort very gently into fermenter.

Thanks guys.

I will try pints suggestion as I don't want to ruin the beer by airaiting.

Ads

Keep in mind that any beer that you boil (and by now, it should have just about feremented out) will drive alcohol out from that portion of the brew... and will likely change the flavour also. May not have a great effect on the finished beer when you are only altering say 10% or 15%of the total volume, but it just may change it also.

I guess the most important question is how much of your malt did you leave out, as a percentage of the total bill?

dreamboat

Yep, Dreamboat is right, boiling will remove the alcohol form that portion of the brew, and may or may not change the beer flavour of that part. But at this stage, ADS7 needs to get the rest of his malt into the brew, or he will end up with a very thin beer.

No matter which path he goes down, there are risks.

Takes a while to boil out all the alcohol

Jovial Monk

Hi

I lost about 1/6 of the can. Used 250 gram honey cause I read somewhere on here about adding honey and not adding all the malt. I hope it will be ok. . Bottled (saving for keg system from more beer) a coopers draught last night after using wl irish ale yeast. My first liquid yeast brew. Cant wait to taste as the aroma from the wort smelt beautifull.

Thanks for your advice

Ads

Back