Wheat Beer Mash/boil Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.
Reaction score
Evening all,

Got a a few questions about a planned German wheat beer.

I'm going to attempt my first stepped mash. As I've only got the capacity for infusion mashing it is going to be a three stage job. 50c protein rest (20 mins), 64c saccharification (60 mins) and 75c mash-out (10 mins). Is this appropriate for the style?

Also, I'll be no chilling and have about 16% pilsner malt in the grist. Will it need a 90 minute boil to drive of any DMS precursors, or is this amount small enough to not have to worry?

I've done a stack of reading and searching and am none-the-wiser to both matters above :unsure:

Cheers,

JD

I am no pro in step mashing but I got this schedule off Tony's Wit recipe

52 for 15min
64 f for 40 min
70 for 20 min
76 for 10 min

As for the pils malt, I learnt that a hard boil for 15 minutes followed by then adding your first hop addition and boiling 60 minutes does the job. So all up 75 minutes should do the trick.

I am no pro in step mashing but I got this schedule off Tony's Wit recipe

52 for 15min
64 f for 40 min
70 for 20 min
76 for 10 min

As for the pils malt, I learnt that a hard boil for 15 minutes followed by then adding your first hop addition and boiling 60 minutes does the job. So all up 75 minutes should do the trick.

Did you heat the mash, or just infuse with boiling water?

I do the "twos".

42 for 10 ferullic
52 for 10 protein
62 for 40 sacc
72 for 10 dext

Are you making an 80% wheat weizen ... or are there other base barleyz in there?

I wouldn't worry about DMS showing up in a hefe - if you can taste anything over the banana and bubblegum then you really screwed up!

That said - I do think they taste better with Hallertau, even though it's only a 60 minute addition.

I do the "twos".

42 for 10 ferullic
52 for 10 protein
62 for 40 sacc
72 for 10 dext

Are you making an 80% wheat weizen ... or are there other base barleyz in there?

I wouldn't worry about DMS showing up in a hefe - if you can taste anything over the banana and bubblegum then you really screwed up!

That said - I do think they taste better with Hallertau, even though it's only a 60 minute addition.

Bit of vienna and a tiny bit of caramunich I for a bit of character. Bittered with hallertau.

Latest posts

Back