Wheat Beer Fermentation Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hiya all,
I got a cheap wheat kit at the supermarket that I'm going to do with some grain.
I also have some safwheat yeast.
My question is , what temp do you ferment a wheat beer at? Ale or lager?

cheers

For the Salwheat, ale temperates worked well when I used this yeast with a kit (ESB wheat) and some grain and malt extract. Wasn't taking notes at the time, but I remember it was enjoyable.

18-24 should see you sweet johnno.with dried i think a few degrees above will not hurt too much.

cheers
big d

No expert (only done one wheat) but I think there is some kind of 30 rule = pitching temp + ferm temp = 30degC so say pitch at 12degC and ferment at 18degC is one possibility. I used this and WLP300 and the brew turned out nice ... can't say I could attribute this to any particular effect ... need to do more reading before brewing another wheat.

Something to think about if you have temp control?

Thanks for the answers lads
I can ferment that at 18-20. May wait a few weeks and do a nother lager first while the weather still allows it.

cheers

I was reading somewhere that safwheat k-97 is actually a german ale yeast, so normal ale temperatures apply.

Wheat yeast is an ale yeast and so should be fermented at ale temps....

From my recollection the 30deg rule Jason mentioned is to encourage a longer lag phase, as this is when allot of the bannana/bubblegum typ esters are produced, then up the temp for fermentation to get the clove flavours to develope....

could be wrong but sounds good!

Asher for now...

Latest posts

Back