Wheat And Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanbos

Reaction score
hey all

can someone plez tell me a bit about wheat beer and porter?

i want to brew them, but im not sure what they are exatcky

what are they similar to, what chacteristics have they got etc etc

any help would be muchly appreiciated

matt

Ummmmm books have been written describing wheat beers and especially Porter

Wheat beer, 30-65%wheat malt, 70-35% barley malt. Types of wheat beer hefeweizen, about 5%abv, tangy, fizzy and lots of yeast in the glass hefe or clear (crystalweizen, prized by Austrians). Strong wheat beers or weizenbocks include more complex malt bill, pale, wheat, dark Munich, chocolate and can be up to 8%abv (weizendoppelbock)

Porter, whoo boy, first industrial beer but using still medieval pratices. Made from a brown malt developed just for porter, made properly and kept a much shorter time than "stale" beer (aged in barrel for 12 months and prized) it soon was "mellow and racy" and could be served from a single butt (barrel) rather than the possibly mythical "three threads of mild, stale and cheaper Twopenny ale. Before long though a malt roaster (Wheeler's Patent) enable dark roast malts to become cheap and plentiful and Porter and its (then) stronger version Stout Porter became made from just pale and roast malts.

Porter initially was a dark, bitter beer. Apparent strength was simulated by using all kinds of adulterants including strychnine etc!

James Squire Wheat and Porter will give you an idea of wheat and (modern weak, pale+color) Porter. guinness used to be called Stout Porter. Schofferhoffer Hefeweizen is a better wheat beer while Schneider & Son "Aventinus" will give you an idea of weizenbock.

next time ask something easy :)

Jovial Monk

haha cheers mate, i think ill brew em both and find out first hand

Back