What's Your Signature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I was reading Gordon strongs book brewing better beer and he talks about using a signature in all his brews. Just a little touch of something that makes the beer yours I spose. It's an interesting/good idea. Do you guys have a signature? Certain grain you use all the time or an adjunct ? Is it because of budget or you like the flavour? Even if you don't want to give "the signature" up tell us why you do it. I honestly think it's a pretty cool idea and it add's to the "I made this myself" factor.

Cheers

:icon_cheers:

Having not read the book, I cant imagine how a single grain or adjunct would be appropriate for every beer style.

The cynical part of me can't help but imagine that anyone who knows that the Grand Master Judge person has a 'signature' in all his beers could not help but think of the the beers with that 'signature' in a favorable manner. :ph34r:

I have a touch of water and grain in my beers guess thats my signature ;)

skin flakes, saliva, and dog hair

Acetobacter.

Not so much an ingredient, but....

I ALWAYS crack my first beer open when i close the lid on the mash tun.

From that point on, it's happy days!

fonzie.jpg

If you think about it on the commercial level, you can always tell a Rogue beer because of their yeast and Brewdog almost always use Maris Otter. There's also something about quite a few of the Redoak beers. I think base malts or yeast are the most likely 'signature' ingredients, whether for love or economy. Perhaps some techniques would fit in the same category too.

I don't really have anything like that though. :D

Chilli powder, 3~7 conifer firs and a mosquito or two.
Directly into the mash, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

i shove a cat in my ferment vessel, not only does he airate the wort well, when bubbles start coming out his mouth you know fermentation has begun. sorry gav, peer group pressure.

I always put yeast in my wort. Really makes the beer IMHO.

I'm sure most will agree that many brewers have a signature to their beers. Not an ingredient as such, but a house flavour, maybe aroma, but a definite character. This was discussed a week ago at a local brewshare day, brews from some brewers just seem to have that 'something' no matter what the style (within reason). It has something to do with location/water/process/equipment/brewer/fermentation regime. Old story.........Ya want to make Bundaberg Rum??? forget essences and ingredients, buy the Bundaberg Rum Distillery!!

Screwy

Pubes.... always with the pubes.

Browndog loves it

Signature style is APA/AIPA with American Hops (or NZ hops of a similar ilk), with late additions.

I suppose, maybe the fact that my base malt is almost always Perle Ale Malt (given I do lots of Ales from both sides of the Atlantic).

And Caramel Rye in the grist. Almost always put it in there.

Goomba

Dog hair here too..

That is why I have a mini schnauzer, not dog hair (or smell).

My signature brew used to be ESBs but it is starting to shift towards saisons. I'm currently off APAs/IPAs (both home brewed and commercial) and I'm on a real malt and yeast flavour drive (also saves me $$$ on hops).

Don't know if it counts, but I always make my starters out of the same wort as the beer it is being pitched into. Yes, I am an avid no-chiller. ;)

JD

Mosquito larvae.

Served with a analgesic chaser (on request).

Whatever debris falls out of my beard whilst leaning over the kettle

Back