Whats Your Most Useful Brewing Gadget?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Whats one of your most useful brewing gadgets that you find very useful in your brewery?

Ive recently brought an Infrared thermometer and find it very useful especially for measuring cooling wort when making starters etc and checking wort in a cube for pitching. I even use it to check the temp of a beer Ive just taken from the lagering cupboard into the freezer to see when its cold enough to drink..

Apologies to those who might feel the need to post a link to where this might have been asked before, but people change and so do gadgets... :D

Whats one of your most useful brewing gadgets that you find very useful in your brewery?

Ive recently brought an Infrared thermometer and find it very useful especially for measuring cooling wort when making starters etc and checking wort in a cube for pitching. I even use it to check the temp of a beer Ive just taken from the lagering cupboard into the freezer to see when its cold enough to drink..

Apologies to those who might feel the need to post a link to where this might have been asked before, but people change and so do gadgets... :D

Bubble popping coming on...sorry.

Generally those infrared thermometers only take a surface reading and as such can be very innaccurate at giving actual temp of the liquid underneath.
I certainly wouldnt be trusting one for important measurements, how hot the wall of the house is, fine, what temp the mash is at, no bloody chance.

For the last twelve months the wiltshire can opener was my best friend, and only opener in the house that would open kit tins,

it doesnt work so good on grain bags.

My old esky is the perfect height for sitting on when bottling, if it was bigger it would make a great mash tun, but you cant have it all. :icon_cheers:

Hydrometer
thermometer
Still getting used to the refractometer.

What's gadget entail and what does it exclude? Esky? Kettle? test tube rack? Fridge? Cube? Spray bottle?

Bunnings wireless probe thermometer thingy

Though, i probably should point out, that the thermometer part is almost entirely useless..... but I use the non-thermometer end of it as a stopwatch while mashing and boiling, which makes it pretty handy

Not really bought or a gadget but I love my draining table I built:

DSC00309.JPG

Sorry, did I miss the point here?

seriously though probably my vacuum sealer as I can use it for brew and non-brew related things

Since fermenting in cubes I've found my wine thief is great for taking samples.
and the Auto Siphon for $20 is bloody great. Never a drama with getting the siphon going.

my pump. If I got it in the first place I would not have to go to the chiropractor every week

Bubble popping coming on...sorry.

Generally those infrared thermometers only take a surface reading and as such can be very innaccurate at giving actual temp of the liquid underneath.
I certainly wouldnt be trusting one for important measurements, how hot the wall of the house is, fine, what temp the mash is at, no bloody chance.
Yeh I've read that too hence why I don't use it for mashing. But before I brought it had to stick a thermo in my cooling boiled water or wort and cover with gladwrap to check when it was cool enough. Now I just point the laser.

Back