Whats your method for measuring hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I contacted a little village in Eastern Kent and gave the village elder 10 a bob note to test all the women folk until they found a Witch. They did this using the if a duck weighs more than the woman she's definitely a witch test. After successfully finding one I then had them take the first egg the duck laid after the test, and at midnight on the next full moon I had them boil it for 10 minutes in 1lt of water infused with 100gm of East Kent Golding hop flowers, then they quickly quenched it in a pot of cold dragons piss and let it pickle until another full moon broke over the horizon. They then had a 16 year old virgin rinse the egg in pure rainwater caught in a medieval oaken bucket and gently dried with her luscious thigh length golden hair. It was then lovingly packed in a biscuit tin nestled in a bed of EKG hop pellets, these were used to comply with Western Australia's strict no hop flowers quarantine regulations. It was then shipped over to me wrapped in plain brown paper by a sailing ship one owned by the East India Trading Company. The egg weighs eggsactly the weight I speak to it (up to 100 gms) for 30 seconds and then returns to its normal 100 gm weight.

This option can't be replicated any more of course, not because of the Dragons piss requirement, it's just that its impossible too find any pure rainwater anymore :(.

If I mislay the egg I use electronic scales, but only if I have to as they use a 9v power adapter and I'm trying hard to reduce my carbon footprint :super:

TheBlackAdder said:
Weird....

I have looked in Kmart etc. before and havnt seen any except some dodgy manual ones

I will have to have a better look :)
K-mart have a good range of digital ones around $12-$14

real_beer said:
Many years ago I contacted a little village in Eastern Kent and gave the village elder 10 a bob note to test all the women folk until they found a Witch. They did this using the if a duck weighs more than the woman she's definitely a witch test. After successfully finding one I then had them take the first egg the duck laid after the test, and at midnight on the next full moon I had them boil it for 10 minutes in 1lt of water infused with 100gm of East Kent Golding hop flowers, then they quickly quenched it in a pot of cold dragons piss and let it pickle until another full moon broke over the horizon. They then had a 16 year old virgin rinse the egg in pure rainwater caught in a medieval oaken bucket and gently dried with her luscious thigh length golden hair. It was then lovingly packed in a biscuit tin nestled in a bed of EKG hop pellets, these were used to comply with Western Australia's strict no hop flowers quarantine regulations. It was then shipped over to me wrapped in plain brown paper by a sailing ship one owned by the East India Trading Company. The egg weighs eggsactly the weight I speak to it (up to 100 gms) for 30 seconds and then returns to its normal 100 gm weight.

This option can't be replicated any more of course, not because of the Dragons piss requirement, it's just that its impossible too find any pure rainwater anymore :(.

If I mislay the egg I use electronic scales, but only if I have to as they use a 9v power adapter and I'm trying hard to reduce my carbon footprint :super:
Stop standing in soot then.
Either that or wear smaller shoes.

real_beer said:

All very believable, except the bit about the 16yo virgin .

i had a set of kmart 5kg scales,nothing but trouble with them,like majority here got a set jewellers scales for hops,grain have a 40kg set.

Thats a nice offer Brewman,Home service
.Or get it weighed out by your supplier?

For dry and late hops I use my hand, a handful is about 20g

pcmfisher said:
Buying a set of cheap scales to weigh hops!

Who'd have thought?
Yeah I've learnt something from this thread :unsure: Strange, we all use scales for measuring...

I must admit I am a fairly lazy brewer these days and I know my plastic bucket holds about 5kg of grain... near enough for me. No scales needed :ph34r:

WitWonder said:
I must admit I am a fairly lazy brewer these days and I know my plastic bucket holds about 5kg of grain... near enough for me. No scales needed :ph34r:
Are you a reincarnation of PoMo?

He was a bucket, cup and handful brewer.. and made a damn fine drop IMO.

WitWonder said:
Yeah I've learnt something from this thread :unsure: Strange, we all use scales for measuring...

Find your wheat beers are stronger?

My trusty Coles bowl holds bang on 1kg barley malt, but reads ~1.1 - 1.2 for wheat.

mofox1 said:

My trusty Coles bowl holds bang on 1kg barley malt, but reads ~1.1 - 1.2 for wheat.
Takes me back to my engineering uni classes.....

Specific gravity of barley malt....hmmmm

sponge said:

You could be on to something there. PoMo did always use his measuring bucket instead of scales, but he was terribly embarrassed and hasn’t posted since Scotty found two K&K beer kits tucked away and hidden behind the bondage gear in his garage and posted pictures of them.

Could WitWonder be PoMo under cover?

sponge said:

Well that rules me out. Assbeer is my speciality.

mofox1 said:

So my wheat beer would be 10-20% stronger?? You bewdy!! Pity i dont brew wheat beers these days...

S.E said:
You could be on to something there. PoMo did always use his measuring bucket instead of scales, but he was terribly embarrassed and hasn’t posted since Scotty found two K&K beer kits tucked away and hidden behind the bondage gear in his garage and posted pictures of them.

Could WitWonder be PoMo under cover?
No the bondage gear is under lock and key so definitely nobody has discovered it... :ph34r:

Back