What's your main base malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weyermann Pilsner usually but have a sack of premium Pilsner at the moment, can use it in many beers.

switched from MO to GP and is amazing
Grain for Style, storage space (lots) is an issue; for the mrs anyway…
Edak, I thought I was the only person who didn't like the taste of MO, sounds like I should give the GP a go?? Tried the MO down to 20% and still didn't like it! (the chooks will)
Just realised the thread age, any thoughts anyone? ( I already know I’m an idiot swmbo tells me every day)

Most weeks I think.
Probably should have said which weeks. Last month was Baird MO for a series of milds I made. Got a sack of Irish stout malt for a series of stouts I want to brew over the next few weeks. Pilsners .. American CAPs also happening soon, so that sack of Weyerman Pils will be used. So, why only one base malt .. one at a time I guess.

GP. Besides British ales, It's my go-to for hoppy American ale styles and knew a few US breweries that used it rather than American two-row. One German expat brewed Helles lagers with it and they were wonderful.

Re Munich I, above, I like it too, but its potential for converting other malts and grains is slight to none. Using it in alone in, say, a pilsner recipe, will give you a Dunkel instead. Nothing wrong with Dunkels.

Learned a lot from this thread. Curious @mosto how many brews have you done since the first post in your thread and what do you find yourself using as a base malt for your favorite style of beer?
He hasnt been on the forums for 2 years, so doubt you'll get a reply haha.

I use bairds maris otter and gladfield pilsner as my base malts.

He hasnt been on the forums for 2 years, so doubt you'll get a reply haha.

I use bairds maris otter and gladfield pilsner as my base malts.
I would guess your name is Rodney :) Didn't look into that - still a good thread. May I ask do you buy locally or use an online supplier? That Maris Otter looks to be right up my alley - thx!

Blimey, this is an old thread- well worth resurrecting, though. I live in France and it's cheaper to get my malt from Ireland. Irish Minch, malt or Crisp's Best ale malts are both excellent. I only use Maris Otter when it;s called for by the recipe, like Summer Lightning, for example. It's no better or worse than the other two in my opinion, it just had a characteristic flavour. I also like to use Crisp's Chevallier, but that's got really expensive over the last year. I use Bestmalz Pilsner, and it's cheaper to buy it from Ireland than to get it directly from Germany or buy it in France. Crazy!

Blimey, this is an old thread- well worth resurrecting, though. I live in France and it's cheaper to get my malt from Ireland. Irish Minch, malt or Crisp's Best ale malts are both excellent. I only use Maris Otter when it;s called for by the recipe, like Summer Lightning, for example. It's no better or worse than the other two in my opinion, it just had a characteristic flavour. I also like to use Crisp's Chevallier, but that's got really expensive over the last year. I use Bestmalz Pilsner, and it's cheaper to buy it from Ireland than to get it directly from Germany or buy it in France. Crazy!
That Crisp Chevallier looks like a great malt - love IPA's and Barleywines.

That Crisp Chevallier looks like a great malt - love IPA's and Barleywines.
It's a weird one. It's really rich and malty and it just soaks up IBUs. Not sure it'd be the best choice for a hop-forward IPA, though. Great for barley wines.

It's a weird one. It's really rich and malty and it just soaks up IBUs. Not sure it'd be the best choice for a hop-forward IPA, though. Great for barley wines.
Good to know your experience. Loads of info on their website Crisp Malt | British Malting Company | Manufacturer & Supplier of UK Malt. And it's been commercially grown in AU since the 60's. I'm liking the flavor and aroma profiles. Thanks for mentioning it. Once I get all set up and the brew rig in place this will be my first malt.

I would guess your name is Rodney :) Didn't look into that - still a good thread. May I ask do you buy locally or use an online supplier? That Maris Otter looks to be right up my alley - thx!
It's actually Chris haha.

I buy locally, mostly from 41 pints in north rocks or Dave's homebrew in North Sydney.

Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter, also Golden Promise, Weyermann Premium Pilsner, Weiss, and Dunkel Weiss.
Really depends on what I'm brewing.
Did an Altbier some years ago with over 90% Munich.

I'm thinking of an analogy and making up a story.
Tourist asks, "What gives your tacos their wonderful flavour?"
Woman behind the stand answers, "Strong onions, lots of cilantro, mejorano, garlic, nopales, pasillas, habaneros, chiles de arbol, poncas."
"What meat do you use?"
"Rat, cat, dog, whatever happens by. With all the other flavours no one can tell."
So in an Old Rasputin clone your base malt won't matter. On the other hand one of my all-time favourite beers was brewed to specifications of a Czech brewer who'd contracted to brew it in the US. He introduced Hanka barley to the US and found a small brewery that would malt it themselves.

Back