Whats Your Favourite Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
just curious what everyones favourite hop is?
mine is cascade but want to experiment with east kent goldings,northern brewer and chinook.
guess i will have to stock up on quite a few varieties as i get more involved in brewing different ag styles.
and the illegal hop doesnt count :blink:

Doh !! :huh: :p :D :eek:

Cascade ..... can't get enough. Aside from that so far I don't mind northern brewer as a good bittering hop. EKG for the english bitters.

That said I have only tried about 5 hop varieties so far :)

Saaz, Cascade and EK Goldings, depending obviously on the beer.

Shawn.

halletua halletua cascade cascade and northen brewer is good to havent used ekg or fuggles much but will do so soon

:D :D :rolleyes:
couldnt help yourself tda.
well ok i like super silver haze mmmmm

well as im about 1000kms away from humpty doo i dont know but one can only hope.last i heard was the local palmerston hbs was getting into brew on premises style stuff.maybe bonk who posts on grumpys and lives in darwin may know?
as far as im aware there is only one hbs in the entire darwin region.must be a great money spinner if you can teach people how to make cub style beers as this brand sells mountains of the stuff in the territory.

big d said:
well as im about 1000kms away from humpty doo i dont know but one can only hope.last i heard was the local palmerston hbs was getting into brew on premises style stuff.maybe bonk who posts on grumpys and lives in darwin may know?
as far as im aware there is only one hbs in the entire darwin region.must be a great money spinner if you can teach people how to make cub style beers as this brand sells mountains of the stuff in the territory.

Been there, drank that :(

I guess thats why you order from interstate.
Despite the penchant for VB in the NT, Darwin still has some good watering holes.
Loved the Parap Tavern, especially the strippers spinning wheels with their tits :eek:

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

a not quite there yet politically correct state/territory..thats what i love about this place.no bullshit in ya face attitude.front bars with dogs and the occasional horse and natives having the best full on fights and the occasional harley riding in and chucking a burn out in the animal bar(front) and the lovely toppies..

aaahhh lifes good in the territory.
did i mention the crocs and the fishing...and the hop smokers :D had to get this back on track some how.

big d said:
a not quite there yet politically correct state/territory..thats what i love about this place.no bullshit in ya face attitude.front bars with dogs and the occasional horse and natives having the best full on fights and the occasional harley riding in and chucking a burn out in the animal bar(front) and the lovely toppies..

aaahhh lifes good in the territory.
did i mention the crocs and the fishing...and the hop smokers :D had to get this back on track some how.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is a great spot, especially in winter!

Daryl Sommers likes it too! :eek: :eek:

TDA

Darwin is the only capital city i have yet to visit. But if its as good as you say it is, its now on my things to do list.

I will bring some Adelaide grown hops for you to sample B)

Save some for me

Favourite Hops

Cascade, EKG, Nth Brewer, Saaz, Hallertau.

Hated Hops

FUGGLES.

Cant say I have experimented with Hops too much yet so I'm not sure what my favourite may be.
I have dry hopped with Goldings. POR, and Saaz I think it was. As I've only done kits I'm not sure how much flavour was imparted to the brew.
I'll keep going though and I'm sure the favourite one will pop up sooner or later.

cheers

Big D this post has not been given the air time it deserves

But EKG ,Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Chalenger & Northdown Hops ar my favourites

Pumpy :)

I'm finding new favourites every day & to be honest even hops like the much maligned POR (which i'd always found skunky/cheesy) are fantastic fresh.

Nelson Sauvin from NZ is my latest love affair :wub: , the wine like character of this hop is truly unique.

If you want to try a unique Uk hop, give Progress a try, a fabulous hop fresh (pungent woodland aromas), but (like POR) avoid like the plague if stale.

cheers Ross

Back