What's Your Favourite Ale Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wax

Reaction score
Ok chaps Im putting a brew down this weekend and it going into my brand spanking new keg system :chug: .

I want to get your opinion on great tasting ales. What is your all time favourite ale? Have you got any tricks that will improve the flavours?

Cheers
Wax

Simplest - easiest award winning kit is as follows:

Morgans Golden Saaz - make with dextrose - use a good lager yeast - S189 or K97 - dry hop with 25 gms of Saaz for 2 weeks in secondary.

Keg thru a GMK pre keg filter - gas and enjoy.

Have not found anyone that does not like it.

Favourite ale kit?

Smugglers Ale - Muntons Premium Gold.

Its about $40, but its a mix+pitch kit.

ESBs fresh wort kits are nice too (I've only tried the APA, and it was tasty).

Kook,

I've also tried ESB fresh wort APA. And I agree, a very nice drop. Might give the Smugglers a crack.

If your just starting you can't go wrong with a Coopers lager , dextrose or liquid malt instead of sugar.
You can fine tune once know know what the basics taste like

for real class wax try one of the grumpys masterbrew kits with your can.my favourite is a coopers lager or draught mixed with the boston cream ale bag.
sensational

I havent made that many yet but im just starting to drink a MSB Pale Ale.
Tastes bloody good for just a Can and yeast.

cheers

generally buy coopers coz it's good and australian and in my supermarket for cheap.

I reckon those ESB 3kg kits are good.

ESB 3kg Aussie Draught, Czech Pilsner or Traditional Extra Special Bitter depending on your taste and whether you can brew the Pilsner cold enough. All 3 are dump 'n stir and all three are excellent. Come with Saf yeasts standard. I have dry hopped them when racking with Cascade, Saaz and EK Goldings respectively, but you can get away without if you want.

The Morgan's Golden Saaz also used to be a fave. Try GMK's recipe.

Shawn.

Thanks for that boys. Big D, I like the idea of grumpys masterbrew kits. Still not sure what I'll pick but you've given me some thing to look out for when i visit the HBS tomorrow. Will let you know Monday (don't have the net at home).

Have a good weekend all.

Wax

probably a bit off topic, but threw down a Grumpy's excelsior partial the other day. Brewed 2 weeks cc 1 week, (i couldnt wait).

Tasted it tonight probably one of the best brews ive done awesome!!!!

:chug:

Strange how different palates taste beer differently. Everyone including Jayse say what a great beer this is. I did the partial mash excelsior, and I hate it! I seem to be the only one, but to me the combination of a fair amount of wheat, plus a mix of Goldings and Cascade hops gives an acidic harsh flavour. Must be unique to me cos everyone else raves about it. Weird.

morgans royal oak amber. my favorite so far. could deffinitely be used to make a js amber type beer
joe

Back