Whats Your Fav American Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulus

Reaction score
Ok ive narrowed it down to Amerillo,Cascade and Northern Brewer
going to order some from hops direct and there is room for 2 more 1lb packets,any suggestions?
cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Simcoe. Bittering or late, its brilliant
Citra, Williamette, Cascade are my tops but i am very fond of Galena, Centennial, Nugget and Columbus

Chinook is a handful and must be used with caution

Northern Brewer and Summit are here in Minnesota. They are on my bucket list.

Centennial are good also US Magnum is the best bittering hop you can ever use IMO

Ok ive narrowed it down to Amerillo,Cascade and Northern Brewer
going to order some from hops direct and there is room for 2 more 1lb packets,any suggestions?
cheers :icon_chickcheers:
Simcoe and Columbus

I love Chinook. I agree that it tastes a bit harsh but for some reason I just love that.

And yeah Willamette, really love it too.

I'll go with those two.

simcoe, centennial, chinook, citra and the old work horse cascade. i know its more than two but i cant really narrow it down more than that.

Willamette dammit.
Now being grown in Australia according to the hop guy at the conference at the weekend.

Should be available to the home brewer via Bintani - might try to track some down

Willamette flowers.. aaahh

Chinook makes it's way into most american beers of mine... although really loving Simcoe of late. Will be using some Columbus for the first time shortly too, as i have no idea what it's like.

Cascade

But I usually use it in combination with Magnum for bittering, Centennial and often Amarillo for flavour/aroma.

Have used Cascade all the way through in an Epic clone attempt but didn't like the 'harsh' bitterness, I much prefer magnum for the heavy lifting. I am currently trying to bring my APA hop flavour back a little from the citrus/grapefruit arena towards something less sharp, more ...hmmm... if it were music I'd be trying to turn down the treble and bump up the bass...any suggestions?

Simcoe? Willamette?

Williamette here. Pretty versatile, I'd describe it as the most British of the US hops if that makes any sense.

Willamette dammit.
Now being grown in Australia according to the hop guy at the conference at the weekend.

Should be available to the home brewer via Bintani - might try to track some down

Willamette flowers.. aaahh
That is pretty cool. My hop plant is willamette but having it grown here commercially is even better!

Back