Whats Your Cost Of Hb Per Stubbie?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
I was just working out roughly what it costs me to do a batch of home brew per stubbie.

With an average cost of grain and some hops and a Wyeast smack pack I spend around $45.00 per batch.

From this I get around 16 litres into my cube and 15 litres bottled.

Thats 15,000/ 330 ml = 45 stubbies.

$45.00/45 = $1.00 per stubbie. (Maybe I should add an extra 10 cents per stubbie to cover, water, power and sundries)

Not bad hey?

Even less once I start making starters and splitting yeast packs and buy my grain in bulk, but Im happy with that cost right now.

Certainly beats $5.00 per stubbie for a nice craft beer.

Anyone else worked out their cost per stubbie?

Cheaper and better than buying beer from the shop.i only have 2 sizes of stubby 18 and 19 lt.

so between $15 and $30 something,depending on to many factors.

I think mine comes in around 90c or so roughly. That's what I tell the wife. What bumbs the price up is the equipment and the occassional spoilt brew (luckily only one so far out of eleven). But once the equipment is bought, subsequent brews bring down the average cost.

For my Wheat (all approx)

5kg Grain - $12
35g hops - $4.20
Yeast - $4.50 (1 pk of Wyeast re-used approx 3-4 times)

TOTAL $20.70 for 20L
$0.39 per stubbie

My maiden ag pale

grain- $17.10
Hops: $5 for 100g so about $1.52
Us05- $4
=$22.62 makes 25litres or 66 stubbies
so each stub is 34cents plus gas etc...

Winning

29c per 330ml!
gotta love the bulk buys!! :

Not sure on price, but it tasts pretty ******* awesome!

where you getting 05 for $4? Nice price...

My Yeast cost is almost nil due to washing and re-use :beerbang: well... not nothing but probably 60c for the last use and getting cheaper by the brew :rolleyes:

equipment excluded, probably down to about $1 - $1-50 a longie with bulk buying grains.

One 2mm square area of my liver, 1mm square area of each kidney and 3 brain cells.

That's per longneck though, so halve that to get the stubby costs.

Of the 4 beers currently on tap each 330mL costs;
- American Pale 5.4% = .40c
- American Amber 5.1% = .40c
- American Brown 6.3%= .49c
- American IPA 6.0% = .70c

I keep all my costs up to date in BS.

FWIW. I'm on an American run right now.

36c to 55c depending on brew and % Wanna start All Grain though!

At my previous costs, a batch of say, Ross' NS Summer Ale would cost about 60c a stubby. I'll be using Grain and Grape's 'Grain Book' from now on and should save a few dollars per batch from that.

In contrast, my American IPA that I've just brewed costs around $1 per stubby, maybe a little more if you count the small amount of hops I used that I just had lying around. Sure as hell beats $7.50 per stubby of Racer 5....

I can can get single hop, single malt repitched yeast beers down to 30c~ a stubbie easily based on raw ingredients. Then tack on cost of fuel etc and it creeps up pretty quickly.

No. Never.

It's the standard rule I apply to all my hobbies.

Fully agree!

All those calculations are flawed anyway once you consider equipment and/or your time.

It's a hobby, sure I always try to get the best deal on things I want/need for it, but I don't add those costs up to a total. Also, the best deal is not always the cheapest.

Imagine calculating how much you paid for the fish you caught on your last fishing trip.

I do understand why people get excited about these figures though, it's just not for me.

I've set all my BeerSmith prices to $0.00.

Free beer !

I was just working out roughly what it costs me to do a batch of home brew per stubbie.

With an average cost of grain and some hops and a Wyeast smack pack I spend around $45.00 per batch.

From this I get around 16 litres into my cube and 15 litres bottled.

Thats 15,000/ 330 ml = 45 stubbies.

$45.00/45 = $1.00 per stubbie. (Maybe I should add an extra 10 cents per stubbie to cover, water, power and sundries)

Not bad hey?

Even less once I start making starters and splitting yeast packs and buy my grain in bulk, but Im happy with that cost right now.

Certainly beats $5.00 per stubbie for a nice craft beer.

Anyone else worked out their cost per stubbie?

$1-1.20/L

That's based on buying imported base grains in bulk buys. Specialty grains in 1KG lots. Hops in 450g and 1000g lots and splitting pre-ordered wyeast packs 4 ways (3$/batch).

Gas is $4 per 20L batch.

Starsan, PBW, Whirlfloc, Yeast Nutrient and C02 are not included in my normal talley, but I imagine is no more than 1-2$/batch

Oh, and lets not include equipment amortisation... ;)

SWMBO used my burner and 50L pot to can tomato sauces the other day... so now half of the equipment costs belong to her hobby ;)

Like rugby players of old, I do it for the love not the money.

But like Stux above, SWMBO also uses the vac sealer and bits and pieces of mine, so my hobby is getting cheaper all the time.

SWMBO used my burner and 50L pot to can tomato sauces the other day... so now half of the equipment costs belong to her hobby ;)

Haha....I wonder if I can get my missus to use my urn for something. Then I can split my cost as well.
:icon_cheers:

Back