Whats your best clone recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
This weekend will see the end of a Fat Yak clone I brewed using ingredients and methods found on this board. It was, in my opinion, better than the shop bought stuff.
I mean I actually going to be really sorry to see that keg cough out foam.
I'm certainly not ashamed to say that when pressed for time, I'll copy a popular beer from the database down to the last gram of hops.
I suspect I'm not Robinson Crusoe here, but good beer is good beer, I don't give a shit about standing on the shoulders of giants, as it were.

If you have a commercially inspired brew you've nailed, or tweaked and improved upon, please deposit it here that the time poor / lazy amongst us may benefit.

what was your recipe mate? would like to try a yak clone eventually (i never copied it down before the recipeDB went under construction).

fletcher said:
what was your recipe mate? would like to try a yak clone eventually (i never copied it down before the recipeDB went under construction).
In that case, I hope I've got my printed copy tucked away somewhere. The HD on my shitbox computer crashed taking all my brewmate recipes with it.
Pretty straightforward though. Just lots of juicy Cascade and NS in there.

Looking forward to seeing it.

I've just about finished my batch using nothing but cascade, it was interesting, but will definitely be hunting around for some NS if I can find some for my next go at it.

Sweet, just saw the Matilda Bay site and it use PoR as well.

2013-02-08_1518.png

Chimay Red (Belgian Dubbel)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 6.54 %
Colour (SRM): 16.7 (EBC): 32.8
Bitterness (IBU): 19.7 (Average)

75.29% Pilsner
7.06% Dextrose
7.06% Torrified Wheat
4.71% Candy Syrup Extra Dark (CB)
2.35% Caraaroma
2.35% Special-B
1.18% Caramunich III

0.5 g/L Galena (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

55C:15, 63C:30, 68C:30, 72C:15. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1214 - Belgian Abbey

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Deschutes obsidian stout, my clone has managed to win 3 awards at vicbrew, 1st and 2nd last year, and 2nd in 2010. (didn't enter in 2011 :D)

Never had the original though unfortunately, so I've no idea how close it is.

8/10 times Fat Yak tastes TERRIBLE these days... which is a shame, because when it's good, it's good.

Tony's LCPA is a great drop! Very close to the original, which is my ol' faithful for Aussie craft.

Dr. Smurto's JS Golden Ale is an amazing drop, nothing like the original is these days - imo - and this is a GOOD thing.

Make this with love and you will be well rewarded. Carbonate low. I've made it with 1469, 1318 and notto and all were good beers (1469 the best, and closest as far as a clone goes):

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/618 CYBI interview for Black Sheep Riggwelter.

Also an awesome base to tweak for your own palate.

Dave70 said:
It was, in my opinion, better than the shop bought stuff.
Great stuff. This is to my mind, why i brew craft beer at home. :super:

Myself, Chrisso81 and Muscovy were pretty impressed with a beer similar to JZ's Evil Twin Red Ale. I can't say it was cloned because I didn't put in one of the dry hops (Citra) I will make it again shortly as it's fast become one of my favourites. RTD in only a few weeks.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Evil twin (37 bbl scale)
Brewer: JD
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 0-24 hours. Racked to fermenter @ 14 degrees, pitched yeast, dry. 45g
18 hours. 18 degrees, racked off 800ml trub/break until clear. white foam head 5mm. nice hop aroma in trub.
96 hours. Allowed temp to drop to 17 degrees for D rest, 24 hours.
Day 5. Temp had settled at 21 degrees for 48 hours and now dropping. SG 1.014. 125g Columbus added.
Day 7. 14 degrees. SG 1.014.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 57.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 45.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l
Bottling Volume: 39.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 35.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
10.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
8.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 3 84.4 %
0.75 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (225.0 EBC) Grain 4 7.4 %
0.65 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC) Grain 5 6.5 %
0.10 kg Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC Grain 6 1.0 %
0.07 kg Roasted Barley (Simpsons) (1083.5 EBC) Grain 7 0.7 %
30.00 g Columbus [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 25.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 12.0 mins) Fining 9 -
60.00 g Citra 2009 [11.10 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
60.00 g Columbus [14.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 12 -
125.00 g Columbus [14.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.07 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 35.26 l of water at 73.2 C 67.5 C 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 77.0 C over 30 min 77.0 C 15 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 31.83 l water at 77.0 C

phoneyhuh said:
Dogfish head 90 min IPA is a damn fine IPA, and the clone is very, very close.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-90-minute-clone-260675/
What a interesting idea! Kind of seems 'stumbled upon', as in the brewer was pissed at the start and inadvertently weighed his hops out in the same cup. At the same time.

I'm gonna give this a go. If for no other reason than I get to hoik hop pellets for ninety minutes.

Any other clones that actually get close? I am thinking of having a crack at Wookey Jack recipe shortley. Will see if it actually comes close!

I have brewed this recipe a few times. I have to admit it isnt mine, I found it somewhere on the net, but cant remember where. So if this is your recipe, thanks its a pretty good rip off of Newcastle Brown Ale.
I have never compared it side by side, but if my taste memory serves me correctly, it is very close.

Newky BA (Northern English Brown Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 16.8 (EBC): 33.0
Bitterness (IBU): 21.2 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

87.01% Maris Otter Malt
4.83% Crystal 30
4.83% Victory
2.42% Chocolate, Pale
0.91% Wheat Malt Midnight

1.5 g/L Fuggles (5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Step infusion of 55 - 10min, 62 - 20min, 68 - 30min, 72 - 10min, 78 - 10min

I have only fermented this with S04, but intend to tr it with a few different yeasts.
Cold condition for approx 1 week, filter and carb.Drink quickly. (So your mates don't drink it on you).

I use midnight wheat for colour adjustment. I think the original recipe used carafa III. I prefer to use minight wheat as I have about 6 kilos of the stuff. Gonna last me a lifetime using 100grams in a recipe.
Cheers
LagerBomb

Pretty sure there's a decent CPA clone floating around on the recipeDB. I haven't made it but from (my memory of) the discussion I believe the brewer got quite close to the original. Might've been one of AndrewQLD's recipes?

Andrew's CPA & CDA recipes are spot on.

brentice said:
5 words

Dr Sumotos golden ale recipe.

Its awesome........True story

The thread is titled "Whats your best clone recipe" Now while DSGA is often compared to James Squire GA, in my opinion (and I've only brewed it twice) is that it is far from an exact clone.

You would do well to brew any of the ones listed here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-database-178064/

My best/closest clone is the Schneider Weisse clone, using German malt and hops and the Wyeast Bavarian Wheat yeast. Thaz wot arm tokkin' abou'.

Les the Weizguy said:
My best/closest clone is the Schneider Weisse clone, using German malt and hops and the Wyeast Bavarian Wheat yeast. Thaz wot arm tokkin' abou'.
I've made this one, and it is a cracker.

Still one of my house standards.

Back