What's with the PC bullshit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there is separation of church and state, but the state and the people under it are still overwhelmingly imbued with Christian values, regardless of whether people are religious or not. Christianity colours our laws and social conduct and, for the great number of Australians of European heritage, almost their every thought even though they are completely unaware of it. It is deeply rooted and persists as the foundation of our culture whether we like it or not. It is the basis of our social indoctrination and its everywhere.

You say the commandments against adultery and idols are not law. But it was only in the 1970s when no-fault divorce came in that adultery ceased to be a outright crime. And adultery can still be brought up in evidence in modern day Family Court disputes. As for idols and the like, try marching down Bourke Street waving an ISIS flag or a swastika and tell me the police won't get involved.

Soldiers take an oath of loyalty to the Queen who is formally Supreme Governor of the Church of England. The separation of church and state does not give a soldier the secular right to refuse to defend the Queen's titular rights and must be prepared fight to defend them as ordered.
Odd that so many of the so called 'Christian values' pre date Christianity and are seen in so many different faiths and cultures around the world.

Whooshka- what was that? Oh nothing really - just our culture disappearing over the hill...
Plenty of Australian culture where I live. Every second car’s a ute, 20 year old grandmas and flake and chips on every corner, everyone’s a cobber and no shortage of Southern Cross tatts. I can buy pies, beer, watch a footy match on the weekend, eat a Cornetto and talk about smelling barbecues!
Yeah na.

I hate xmas, I hate the xmas jingles blaring from every bloody loud speaker. I hate the fake jolly ho ho ho-inis. But it has nothing to do with Christianity or faith, it is just rampant consumerism that proclaims that Jesus died for our right to spend the mighty dollar.

Now if you go to church, and say a prayer, if you give to those those have less and do so without seeking recognition or recompense then you have my respect and Gods blessings.

However we always been multi cultural multi ethnic but also secular state. Your religious practice is your private undertaking, you are given the privilege to practice your faith it does not give you the right to impose your values upon others.

I was raised Christian but my father was an Marxist/atheist, personally I am agnostic / Buddhist bordering atheist. I live in area of Melbourne with a large Muslim population, they call be Habeeb (meaning beloved) but they never impose their believes on me and I just treat them as human beings.

So telling your customer “happy holiday” is just recognising the diversity inherent in Australian culture. If this troubles you stick your fingers in your ears and hum really loud.

My 2 boys go to a Montessori day care/kinder. Its an Italian learning system with run by a Sth Afriacan with workers/teachers from Australia, India, the Philippines and Singapore. They learn about different countries and their customs and holidays. Diwali is the only Indian one I can remember :D They also learned about xmas which included an Xmas tree, presents and one of the teachers dressing up as Santa. They didnt learn about Jebus which I happy about. Seems to me the only ones who give a shit about PC or not PC are left or right leaning Aussies.

So that was a long time ago, of course, but in my mind, Australia traditionally WAS a Christian country, but we're now being out-numbered. To younger folk whose world only started in much more recent times, I can understand the different perception of how Australia is.

I heard a bit on ABC radio a few months back about when they first started to broadcast question time in parliament. Before each session someone would recite the lords prayer (or one of those stupid prayers. I dont know them). The opponents of the broadcast said that instead of asking serious questions, questions could be used for the purpose of propaganda.

wow this is by far the weirdest thread ever.
There have been far, far juicier. The Continuing Rant Thread has had some fascinating chapters and hell, I've only been here for a year, it was juicy before I got here.

I hate xmas, I hate the xmas jingles blaring from every bloody loud speaker. I hate the fake jolly ho ho ho-inis. But it has nothing to do with Christianity or faith, it is just rampant consumerism that proclaims that Jesus died for our right to spend the mighty dollar.

Now if you go to church, and say a prayer, if you give to those those have less and do so without seeking recognition or recompense then you have my respect and Gods blessings.

However we always been multi cultural multi ethnic but also secular state. Your religious practice is your private undertaking, you are given the privilege to practice your faith it does not give you the right to impose your values upon others.

I was raised Christian but my father was an Marxist/atheist, personally I am agnostic / Buddhist bordering atheist. I live in area of Melbourne with a large Muslim population, they call be Habeeb (meaning beloved) but they never impose their believes on me and I just treat them as human beings.

So telling your customer “happy holiday” is just recognising the diversity inherent in Australian culture. If this troubles you stick your fingers in your ears and hum really loud.

This guys gets it.

This is what I would have written, but poorly

Forget the Buddhist agnostic bit and go full on atheist, God likes atheist's better, they aren't always bending his ear asking him for stuff.

Yes there is separation of church and state, but the state and the people under it are still overwhelmingly imbued with Christian values, regardless of whether people are religious or not. Christianity colours our laws and social conduct and, for the great number of Australians of European heritage, almost their every thought even though they are completely unaware of it. It is deeply rooted and persists as the foundation of our culture whether we like it or not. It is the basis of our social indoctrination and its everywhere.

You say the commandments against adultery and idols are not law. But it was only in the 1970s when no-fault divorce came in that adultery ceased to be a outright crime. And adultery can still be brought up in evidence in modern day Family Court disputes. As for idols and the like, try marching down Bourke Street waving an ISIS flag or a swastika and tell me the police won't get involved.

What a complete load of garbage. That's exactly the rubbish the religious want you to believe.

Ethics and morality are human and evolutionary qualities and were around long before Christianity. The bible is possibly the most immoral book ever written but lets forget the slavery, oppression of woman, stoning etc that is mandated and claim the few things we still consider moral today.

Christmas is a perfect example of Christianity bastardising something to benefit itself.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas, whatever - just be kind and hopefully cherish some much needed family time at this time of year.

Soldiers take an oath of loyalty to the Queen who is formally Supreme Governor of the Church of England. The separation of church and state does not give a soldier the secular right to refuse to defend the Queen's titular rights and must be prepared fight to defend them as ordered.

Christianity may colour some of our laws but there are many that are not. Sliding tax scale, unions, minimum wage, etc. are elements of Marrxism, which Christians will tell you is related to Darwinism and essentially the work of the devil. Christianity colours almost all of our thoughts? That's a pretty massive call and I'm interested to hear the argument that backs it up!

As others have mentioned, a lot of the values and practices of Christianity pre-date that religion and are also found in many other belief systems. Therefore I struggle to see how you can attribute so much to Christianity at the expence of every other relevant element of history.

You relate ISIS and Nazi flags to the worship of craven idols, Which I believe you do so erroneously. Firstly, these flags and symbols have been banned because of the ideology they represent and the violence they command against the ruling state, not because they do not represent the Christian god (are swatikas even banned? I don't think so). Secondly, it is legal to march down any street with a Flying Spaghetti Monster flag, a flag of Ganesh and flags of rainbow gay pride - all symbols and idolotry that is completely un-Christian. I'm not sure your argument there stands up.

I signed up in 1994. I recall pledging to the queen but I also remember that you had a choice on what you pledged to, I think the other one may have been a bible, I really can't recall. Yes, the Queen is head of the Church but I think it's a pretty big stretch to argue that anyone is swearing the oath to her as the head of a religious organisation rather than the head of state. Secondly, given the Australia Act from 1986 I'd also argue that it's pretty way out to suggest that Australia would ever be called on or would answer any call to defend the Church of England, it just wouldn't happen. We defend the national interest and part of that is supporting alliances, which are often partly based on values. But I'd argue that national interest and national security trumps all.

@evoo4u Culture is fluid and what you see as Australian culture was markedly different to what your grandparents would have called Australian culture - to them their culture would very likely have been British. And if our culture hangs on such superficial things as to how we wish niceties on others, well then we're already fucked, I'd say!

Back