What's with the PC bullshit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally over the "holiday season" you get at least 3 public holidays (state depending). Seems easier to me to say happy holidays (several days) than merry Christmas (one day).

Relax and have a home brew, the intentions were good.

Thankfully most lawful pillars of society pre date the decalogue. Not killing and stealing from one another were hardly new ideas.

Covet thy neighbor's (metaphoric) ass? What if his ass was a nice beer? Should I not try to emulate and perhaps improve upon it it? Proof the Bible is phooey.

mmmmm...sexy...

Wild-African-Ass.jpg

all this hoo ha about religion. Christmas is all about stopping the kids from breaking shit or burning down the house, between laps with the lawn mower because the grass is growing like a foot a week. Trying to keep the keezer full is near impossible because of the constant mowing, and it's hot. Which invariably means a trip to the pool or beach, if you do survive the sharks and box jelly fish, there's the hour long ride home with 2 kids in the back picking at each other. So again you get home needing another beer or 7. Then there all the honeydos, including the ones you didn't do at whilst away at swap, each requiring at least 3 trips to the hardware, which on any normal day would be fine, but there are crazys everywhere, there can't navigate a car park on foot let alone in a car, then they go into the shops and drive their trolleys like kamakazie. Once in the hardware you better know what your after and where it's located , or bring a packed lunch. Shops in general at this time of year are a complete nightmare, so if you do make it home alive or you were granted bail, you'll need another beer .... or 7. Then you have all those "mates" .... 'just thought I'd drop by for a beer and say merry Xmas'

It's a bloody conspiracy to empty my keezer is what it is!

Just received email from AHB wishing me a "Happy holiday ". Please don't tell me AHB is so P.C. we can't say " Merry Christmas "?
After all, those likely to be offended aren't likely to be brewers or drinkers are they?
Allright, off my high horse now.
Merry Christmas to all.
i say "merry new year", its the greeting that lasts for a week :) and after that hot cross buns are available..

if our culture is getting uppity about whether someone says christmas or holidays when essentially wishing me good luck for [December 23 to January 1 period] then colour me un-australian

a Festivus for the rest of us
Well Seinfeld had to produce at least one memorable line, they had long enough.
Mark

We're getting down to semantics here because it's kind of two different things.

Saudi Arabia is a Muslim country, by law that is the religion and many laws and practices are based on the contents of the Koran.

Australia is a secular country, the church is separated from the judiciary and the parliament and the executive. We are free to worship as we please and religious practice does not supercede the law. Of course, many of our laws are based on the ten commandments (steal, murder, etc.) but many commandments are not law (adultery, idols, etc.) and many laws we have are devoid of religious values. So it's not 100% black and white but we are not a Christian or religious country given the separation of powers and religious freedoms enforced by law.

What you are getting at is the prevailing culture. When I went to school we also had scripture classes based on denomination (shit, I even went to Sunday school!) but you could opt out if you wanted and they were 40 mins a week. Yes you see many churches and Christian schools, in the majority as well, but you also see Jewish schools and Synagogs, Muslim schools and Mosques, Ba'hai schools and their temples, etc. etc. Christianity previals in terms of statistics but that's all and it is also reducing rapidly due to both the reduction in religiosity of society in general as well as the increase in other religions as well as 'alternative' religions (paganism, spaghetti monster, satanism, beerism, Zuckerburgism, etc. etc.).

I just asked a barman if he had any IPAs as we had a long almost-Christmas lunch. He said "we've got something that's almost an IPA" and handed me a pale ale.

Prick should be crucified.

Yes there is separation of church and state, but the state and the people under it are still overwhelmingly imbued with Christian values, regardless of whether people are religious or not. Christianity colours our laws and social conduct and, for the great number of Australians of European heritage, almost their every thought even though they are completely unaware of it. It is deeply rooted and persists as the foundation of our culture whether we like it or not. It is the basis of our social indoctrination and its everywhere.

You say the commandments against adultery and idols are not law. But it was only in the 1970s when no-fault divorce came in that adultery ceased to be a outright crime. And adultery can still be brought up in evidence in modern day Family Court disputes. As for idols and the like, try marching down Bourke Street waving an ISIS flag or a swastika and tell me the police won't get involved.

Soldiers take an oath of loyalty to the Queen who is formally Supreme Governor of the Church of England. The separation of church and state does not give a soldier the secular right to refuse to defend the Queen's titular rights and must be prepared fight to defend them as ordered.

Back