What's with the PC bullshit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woong

Reaction score
Just received email from AHB wishing me a "Happy holiday ". Please don't tell me AHB is so P.C. we can't say " Merry Christmas "?
After all, those likely to be offended aren't likely to be brewers or drinkers are they?
Allright, off my high horse now.
Merry Christmas to all.

IMG_1513811760.912504.jpg

"Happy Winter Solstice
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, our best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all . . .
And a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2017, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "AMERICA" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual preference of the wishee."

(http://www.georgebuehler.com/ )

Just received email from AHB wishing me a "Happy holiday ". Please don't tell me AHB is so P.C. we can't say " Merry Christmas "?
After all, those likely to be offended aren't likely to be brewers or drinkers are they?
Allright, off my high horse now.
Merry Christmas to all.

It's not about being PC or inoffensive, you're totally misunderstanding why people say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

It's because heaps of people in Australia and elsewhere don't celebtrate Christmas. I mean, why the **** would you say merry Christmas to a Hindu or a Muslim? It's not being offensive, it's just being dumb.

There are enough shitty things in life to get upset about without fabricating new and redundant reasons.

All right, off my high horse now.

Season's Greetings.

Question without notice:

Do non-Christians in this country observe Christmas and Easter holidays? Or do they conscientiously work right through...

And do the republicans in our midst enjoy the Queen's Birthday holiday?

Just wondering.

The biggest Christmas spending is in Japan who are either atheist or follow the strict path of origami or something.

I think you've missed the point of the whole "happy whatever-it-is" greeting.

it's a well wishing - have a good christmas, new years, and break from work if you're taking it. Enjoy yourself.

And don't stress over meaningless things like the word being used to convey the message.

I gots no issues with people calling things what they are. The holiday in question here is Christmas, so that's fine. Other religions have other holidays and we generally call them by their names because that's what names are for.

This site is owned/hosted by an american person/company, and they have a significant jewish population so it has become commonplace to say happy holidays because it's both Christmas and Hunnakah (spelling?).

It tends to be the conservative snowflakes who get triggered and scream bloody murder about this sort of thing. I think they're just a tad over-sensitive, and perhaps need a christian safe space they can go into and hide. Just watch out for those priests though, I hear they can get grabby.

Question without notice:

Do non-Christians in this country observe Christmas and Easter holidays? Or do they conscientiously work right through...

Just wondering.

Odd question. My boss says 'have a paid day off - I take it (or get TIL). I don't go to the Hobart show or the Regatta either and when I was in Melbourne, I couldn't give two fucks about a silly horse race.

Happy finding more important things to worry about, everyone.

Question without notice:

Just wondering.

Are Christians hypocrites for putting up a Saturnalia tree, hanging a Yule wreath on their door, and singing door to door like ancient pagans celebrating the winter solstice?

@Grott Actually, Australia is not a Christian country, this is a secular nation and there are very clear separations and religious freedoms here.

@ evoo4u I'm not Christian and I'm sure as hell not going to knock back a public holiday if some one throws one my way! I'd say most other folk are the same regardless of religion or ideology.

pcqpypcqpy, manticle, agreed, I am constantly amazed at the things people get worked up about. The original post is the perfect example: "I'm offended that people are so easily offended!!"

Back