What's This Nsw Green Slip Shit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Moving to NSW and rego due only a couple of weeks later. What's this green slip thingo?

In QLD you get your rego bill and it's composed of Rego and Compulsory Third Party Insurance CTP. You don't actually need to contact an insurance company =- initially the CTP is allocated to you at random from a preferred list such as AAMI whatever, but if you prefer another supplier of CTP then you can choose your own.

In NSW it looks like you have to provide your own supplier via a "green slip", is that right? So does that mean you have to actually contact a company and get the slip before you can go to the RTA and pay your rego?

Bring on 2 tier govt in Australia, when I was a resident pom if I wanted to move from Newcastle to Cardiff I just fcucking drove there. :(

Moving to NSW and rego due only a couple of weeks later. What's this green slip thingo?

In QLD you get your rego bill and it's composed of Rego and Compulsory Third Party Insurance CTP. You don't actually need to contact an insurance company =- initially the CTP is allocated to you at random from a preferred list such as AAMI whatever, but if you prefer another supplier of CTP then you can choose your own.

In NSW it looks like you have to provide your own supplier via a "green slip", is that right? So does that mean you have to actually contact a company and get the slip before you can go to the RTA and pay your rego?

Bring on 2 tier govt in Australia, when I was a resident pom if I wanted to move from Newcastle to Cardiff I just fcucking drove there. :(

Yup, you need to buy a Green Slip before you can register your car in NSW. You can do it over the net, you don't even have to call them.
Seeing as you are moving from QLD to NSW, you get a 3 months window to arrange your change of rego and licence, so it's not really urgent.

When you're down here, give me a call, and I'll help you sort it, as I used to work in the Green Slip unit of one of the licenced insurers. I'm not a salesman, I'm not on commission, my field was personal injury claims made on Green Slips. You make the decision as to which insurer you select, I'm not here to influence that.

And you'll need one every year too...

Enjoy the double demerits.

Thanks Warra, I see there's an online calculator thingy - I just had the car serviced and they did a QLD safety check as well, which is more stringent than the NSW one apparently because there's no annual check in QLD so the safety check is only ever done if you are selling the vehicle, so I should be right for the inspection. I had a single demerit in 1988 so have a bit of "padding" on my licence :p

I'm actually looking forward to leaving the car in the garage for 90% of the time. Apart from trips to Taree, Port and Newcastle I'll be pumping da pedals around Old Bar. :)

http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=102
heres the calculator.
ill find out where the young bloke who took over the old mans business is and point you in his direction, he should be able to look after you well until you get sorted and figure out who you want to service the car.
i thought nsw had the most stringent inspections well you will find that out shortly

I think u mean 1 tier govt bribie. We have 3 and tge issues u outlined is still exsisant under 2 tier govt. Rwgo amounts are all diff in each state also, as are roadworthy standards.

The tier to be removed would be the state governments.

state_reform.jpg

Let's remove Tasmania, while we're at it, and just call it a suburb of Melbourne.....

And bring back the stocks for any pollies not honouring their election pledges!

Let's remove Tasmania, while we're at it, and just call it a suburb of Melbourne.....

And bring back the stocks for any pollies not honouring their election pledges!
You'd need a lot of stocks...

Or have people read understand etc election platforms rather than just b popularity vote. Voters have a lot to be accountable for. And they r the reason.news feeds 24/7 Nullabor cycles of reaction that pollies now need to react to rather than considered reactions or better still focussing on running the country. Not aunty Mavis's issues of the moment.

State govt is useful. Cth isn't. The new system yes would remove a lvl but would be so diff it wouldn't be recognisable as state or cth in it's current form.

France has a similar system, with a National Government and departements which equate more or less to the entities in the above map. It replaced the former provinces, so a Frenchman can still say "I live in Burgundy" etc and everyone knows what he is talking about even though Burgundy hasn't been a political unit for Centuries, so in the Future someone could say "I'm a Queenslander" although that name would be for ceremonial purposes only. A bit like a pom saying they are from Westmoreland although that county ceased to exist in the 1970s.

Back