Whats The Size Of You Brew Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegs23

Reaction score
just wondering how meny people are brewing in bulk,
i can do up to 5 cubes out of my 140L brew pot
no chill as i think 5 seperate cube will cool quicker in the bottom of my pool than any other way,
i use a 4 ring burner with ajustable rambo reg under my pots,
takes about 4-4.5 hours to do that much,
has any one got any handy tips on how they brew with large batch sizes like this,

sorry for the other post (going in to retail)didnt mean that but dont known how to delete them

open up your old posts & click on delete :)

....Bottom right hand corner

no chill as i think 5 seperate cube will cool quicker in the bottom of my pool than any other way,

No Chill means NO CHILLING in a pool or anywhere else.

You want them to stay hot for as long a spossible so that the heat sterilises the container.

No Chill means NO CHILLING in a pool or anywhere else.

You want them to stay hot for as long a spossible so that the heat sterilises the container.

I'd still call it No Chill. You can call it Slow Chill if you like ;)

Hot for as long as possible? I'd disagree with that. My cubes are sanitised prior to putting anything in them, I dont rely on wort which may or may not be hot enough to kill everything, to do my sanitisation. Generally after whirlpool the temp has dropped below 100C. Sure, that hot wort will help kill off most nastys that may be there, but I certainly dont rely on that, I clean thoroughly and use phos acid to sanitise. I generally cool my cubes down as quickly as possible and pitch the next day. I have left cubes for a couple of weeks though and havent had an infection since using phos acid to sanitise.

If we want to get picky, boiling wort will never sterilise, it will only sanitise. Sterlisation requires 15mins at 120-130C.

Anyway, this is all completely off-topic. The biggest batch I do are doubles so cant help you much. Interested to know how you control ferment temps with 100L though

I'm currently doing a 12L IPA. MASSIVE. :D

Ol' Yella IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 12.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.700
Total Hops (g): 55.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.066 (P): 16.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.48 %
Colour (SRM): 12.5 (EBC): 24.7
Bitterness (IBU): 65.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pilsner (94.59%)
0.200 kg Caraaroma (5.41%)

Hop Bill
----------------
15.0 g Nelson Sauvin Pellet (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
40.0 g Amarillo Pellet (9.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (3.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Just some thoughts on this......you have a huge supply of recyclable water. Why not use a pump and a plate chiller and recirc back into your pool? Surely that would be quicker than your current method, if cooling quickly is a priority? Perhaps not, maybe cubes in the pool is the best method. How long does it take to get to pitching temp using your current method?

Currently my brew pot is 7l, my brew size is 20l.

Upgrading to 46l and staying same brew size in a few weeks.

@Nick JD - struggling to see how that helps the OP?

Kegs,
One thing you could do which doesn't simplify the process as such but gives you variety while still doing big batches is to do just a simple bittering addition and then dry hop with different hops and use different yeasts for each one to give you a variety.

Cheers

Robbo

I'm running a 140L pot for my kettle too. Batch output anywhere between 69L to 100L depending on what I feel like on the day.

Mine also good for a swim, in the man pool

QldKev

Kegs,
One thing you could do which doesn't simplify the process as such but gives you variety while still doing big batches is to do just a simple bittering addition and then dry hop with different hops and use different yeasts for each one to give you a variety.

Cheers

Robbo

:icon_offtopic:
or even another way, is to just put the same total IBU's worth of hops (quantity will change) all in the cube. No kettle additions at all.
Yes i know bittering additions are supposed to encourage hot break and all that stuff, blah blah blah, but seriously, the flavour of the beers im putting out at the moment with my cube hop series is amazing.

EDIT: 'spose i should answer your question while im here..
current vessel size is 60lt BIAB. Can just do double batches with out a sparge or kettle top up. Thinking about going to a 70lt pot for next brewery upgrade to give me more headspace.
Or i could save a shitload and do a sparge i suppose, but where's the fun in that?

Also have a 3V rig (50lt kegs) which can churn out doubles with relative ease providing i watch for boil overs for the first few minutes into the boil.

after putting them in the pool i just push them around a bit to move the hot wort around to cool quicker,,,,,next time ill put the infra red gun on them and check out the temp drop,,,,,,,,,

after putting them in the pool i just push them around a bit to move the hot wort around to cool quicker,,,,,next time ill put the infra red gun on them and check out the temp drop,,,,,,,,,

I think keeping the water moving helps heaps, we've seen the difference it makes with immersion chillers. If you have a good look in the pic I linked to above in the top left of the pool I have a pump that causes a whirlpool of the entire pool (what is great for beer stubby races)

QldKev

So am I.

So how's this: 5 cubes.

Wort: 1.065, 15 EBC made up of a simple grain bill of Pilsner and a touch of colour from a caramel spec malt. Bitter with a very neutral hop like Magnum or Horizon or Galena to 25 IBUs. Boil for an hour.

Cube 1:

Chuck in some Saaz to make it up to 40 IBUs and ferment with WY2001. Dilute in fermenter to 1.055.

Cube 2:

Add 3522 or 1214 or 3787 for a delicious Belgian Blonde.

Cube 3:

Add an insane amount of Amarillo/Nelson/Galaxy/Simcoe/etc and US05 for an IPA

Cube 4:

Dilute to 1.038 and add some fuggles for something mild. 1469.

Cube 5:

Dilute to 1.050 and add 2565 for a nice Kolsch. Or on the stove, steep 5L of carafa and make a nice porter or a stout. Adding colour with your dilution can turn the base wort into anything.

Hell, you can do anything if you have 100L of 1.065 bittered to 25 IBUs. Except maybe wheatbeers - although the wheat in a wheatbeer does SFA really. Just use a wheat yeast.

Robinox 100L. I think it is actually 95L in reality.

Good for easy batches of 66L, so 3 x 20L, (Actually 22 - 22.5L) cubes. Could do more, but I find that volume, easy safe and quite a lot of end product. Recently upgraded from a 50L. Never going back, except for smaller special batches.

Fear.

I do 43lt knock out in a 80lt pot. It takes me a whole 15 mins longer to do a double batch then a single, Some times with no mash out faster but I find with a kid time is worth more then money and the ingredients cost the same and gas usage is actually less I found as I get 1 more brew out of a single (so get 5 singles) or I get 4 doubles out of the same gas! lol

Back