What's The Longest You Have Had A Beer In The Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPatch

Reaction score
Wow! I have just found two beers in my keg fridge I didn't realise I had!!!

I have been going through a thorough cleaning and sterilisation rotation of all my gear. This sometimes involves a cleaned/sterilised keg sitting inside my dispensing fridge/s.* I just went to fill two kegs with a new batch and lo and behold, the buggers still had beer in them.

I checked their labels and now remember that they were two kegs that I wanted others to drink when they came over as they are beers that I didn't overly like. One was a Munich Dunkell brewed 15/08/08 (when it comes to dark beers I much prefer a schwartz) and the other was a Jamil APA 05/10/08 which I remember had acetaldehyde (which I can't stand even a glimmer of.)

After 22 months, the Munich Dunkell, which I never thought was very good, is probably at about 90% of what it was. The Jamil APA is okay. No aroma and, acetaldehyde often only hits me on the second glass, so I'll throw another one down and report back if I get the hit that I hate :).

These 1 to 2 lts of beer must have felt very neglected at not being pulled in such a long time :huh: though they both were treated well sitting at a constant dispense temperature.

If any Perth boys want to come and have a taste then let me know and I'll stop drinking them. They are not great but they aren't bad either.

Has anyone else been surprised by how well beer can last in a keg?

I don't even keg but got my hands on one 2 years ago with visions of getting it all sorted....still haven't lol.
Who knows what it will be like. An IPA

belgian in the keg brewed june '08, 8.6%ABV, still going strong

remi

I had a smoked porter in a keg for about 4 years, and a oaked american barleywine similar, I thought they held up well,

I have my first real Lager CC'ing in the fridge ATM, been there a whole 7 weeks :rolleyes: But I do have about 10 bottle of IIPA about 12 months old. That's the best I can do

I've got a 12% Belgian in the keg which is coming up to 2 years. Still tastes good.

about 4 days,if I mix up my routine and don't tell them. :chug:

I just finished a robust porter I found that was at least 2 years old, probably closer to 3. It was 100x better than it was when I drank most of the keg a couple months after I brewed it :p

Similar story for a Rye IIPA - that was only a year or 2 old, but it was one of the best beers I've tasted, very much in contrast to my initial impressions of it.

Back