What's The Longest You Have Aged A Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the longest time you have left a brew to mature and this is by choice not by forgetting it w

• Straight from the fermenter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 Weeks

• 1 Month

• 2 Months

• 3 Months

• 6 Months

• 1 Year

• 2 Years

• Its older than me!

• Total voters

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Been reading some crazy recipes that people plan to age for a long time (for me this is greater than 2 months!!). What is your best effort at one of these super brews that you won't touch until X amount of time?

OK, I have put my hand up for 3 months (though I think it is four months really. . .)

A beer to be aged needs some considerable alkyhole, and incredible hop additions to ward off infections etc. don't do this with a weenie 3.35 Mild, folks!
don't be afraid of massive hop additions, with age bitterness mellows and becomes flavoring compuunds

Hmmm I told a lie, my 12.1% spiced lager by design is now 14 months old

I am planning a brew this year will require 18-24 months ageing, and 600g hops in the boil!! A RIS is really best at 3 years of age

JM

An early effort Dark Ale that didn't taste quite right until about a month ago. It took 8 months to come up (to my taste anyway)
Too bad it's so hot in Adelaide at the moment to enjoy. I'll just have to hang on to it a bit longer.

Tough question to answer truthfully this one. I ALWAYS taste an 'experimental' bottle at the 2 weeks after bottling point (3 weeks in the depths of winter) to make sure things are as they should be. I'll often then leave the brew for an extended period before really starting to drink it. Does this count as 2 weeks or X months? I put down 6 months cause that's the longest I've left a beer before really hooking into it, but I've had brews last 12 months before disappearing entirely...

Interesting question though.

Shawn.

I've got a few bottles left of my 6% stout that are nearly 2 years old. I'll be leaving my 9.5% tripel for a couple of years too. Generally though I try and drink all my brews within 6 months.

My Barley Wine that came second in the Strong Ale Category at the nationals in 2000....

Finished the last stuby at Xmas.....

WOW......

I have a dozen bottles of 6-7% stout I made in early 2002 bit I don't expect any to survive next winter. Usually they go inside 6 months. Currently finishing off a lager from last July, pilsner from September & an IPA from October. Plus there's still a few bottles of a mild I did in June. I find it's good to have a range so you can drink what you feel like having at the time.

I start drinking everything from gravity sample onwards. In summer I drink bottles after about 10 days in the bottle just to get a taste and see how they develop. In winter they take a few more weeks to carbonate.

I also put away three long necks of every brew I make and cannot touch them till they are 6 months old.

Everything else is fair game but the oldest beer I have drunk was an old dark ale at 10 months so I ticked 1 year as closest.

3 months for a marstons pedigree.
bugger doing that again the wait to age it was killing me.

I drink a sample while racking the beer.
I then drink a sample when kegging the beer.
Two days later when it is gassed I can't wait to get home and pull the first cold pint.
Then the keg gets put into rotation which means it won't get drunk for upto another 2 months.

Beers,
Doc

I normally drink my brews at about 5 months , but at the moment I am drinking at 8 months , --- had two months off to do some travelling . I am part way through some stout which is 90 weeks old .

My aim is to drink on average 6 month old beer , some nice changes can occur at the 5 month period i.e some ordinary stuff turns real good

Rod

i used to keep all my beers a yr before drinking (bottles) i almost stopped drinking home brew and they were around for about 6 yrs, then i started drinking them again..... some were great

some had gone bad! yuck

When I bottled beer I always kept a couple for 12 months to see how they developed. I found that progressively tasting the beer was a good way to see if your brewing practices were sound.
Now that I keg, like Doc most beers are gone in 2-4 months. I rotate my kegs around but having said that I still have half a keg of my Mars Bar Scottish Ale which was brewed back in October. B)

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

Back