What's The Brewingest City In Oz?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temple of Seth

Reaction score
Hey All,

It occurs to me that as my finances come under control and the rate of expenditure on brewing equipment goes down, I'm going to want to see some more of this lovely country. It so happens that when I go to a new city, what I really like to do is tour the brewpubs. So my question is, which city in Oz has the most and best brewpubs to choose from?

Cheers,

ToS

Temple of Seth said:
So my question is, which city in Oz has the most and best brewpubs to choose from?
What more can I say ... the home of beer and footy.

Gold Coast Brewpub - Brewpub
3120 Gold Coast Hwy (Next to Islander Resort) Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
Ph 07 5504 5971

- From http://www.realbeer.com.au/au_breweries/

has closed down, we went there for the weekend and I was looking forward to a few drinks and a fead.

geez i thought it wouldve been adelaide.nevermind jayse.
anyway perth has a few good ones with some more to come from what ive read.

ToS,

Unfortunately the dedicated drinker has to search far and wide as far as I know.

As you're from Qld, try these as you go south - Byron Bay - The big pub in the main St used to do a few beers of its own - don't know if that's the case now. There was even a microbrewery in a pub in Lismore, but I think that one's defunct.

Newcastle has the Queen's Wharf Brewery, which still sells some of its "own" brews (the real estate was too valuable to be taken up by brewing vats when paying customers could occupy the space!!) Beers are now brewed in beautiful Barnsley, along with Bluetongue and some of the St Arnou beers from POTTERS (in the Hunter Valley vineyards at Cessnock), apparently also sold in some Sydney Pubs.

Further South try The Lord Nelson in Sydney's Rocks district for some nice English style beers - also the Austalia Hotel has Geoff Scharer's Lager and Burragorang Bock (and others) brewed in a little town called Picton, south of Sydney where you'll find the copper mash tuns etc at the George IV Inn.

There are also the Belgian beer cafes now becoming popular - I think the first in Sydney was the Belle Epoque in Cammeray.

There's also Paddy's, which I didn't know existed until seeing it here on the board.

There's a new brewery in Wollongong that I hear is good, and in Goulburn there's the Old Goulburn Brewery on the site of a 19th century brewery that brews as a way of helping people back into society ( was, and probably still is , run by a priest). I wasn't particularly fussed on their beers, but you should try everthing once!

Canberra apparently has had a micro or two, and I think there's still something happening there, but the tourist info people couldn't help me last time I asked!

In Tassie, I spent a bit of time a couple of years ago looking for micros and stumbled on the (I think) St Ives hotel on Sandy Bay road - did a very nice set of its own beers as well as the very new ( at that stage) Hazards Ale. I've heard rumours that more is happening there now.

Just a sidelight - last time I was In NZ there was bugger al except the mainstream brews - apparently that's all changed.

PB

Canberra apparently has had a micro or two, and I think there's still something happening there, but the tourist info people couldn't help me last time I asked!
The Wig and Pen in Canberra is excellent.

Melbourne has got a handful, but the beers aren't that great in most - the Bell Hotel in South Melbourne is good though. The Sherlock Holmes pub sells cask-conditioned 3 Ravens beers.

Country Vic has some excellent places - especially the Holgate Brewhouse in Woodend and the Buffallo Brewery near Rutherglen.

Byron Bay - The big pub in the main St used to do a few beers of its own - don't know if that's the case now.

They had signs up on the building for they own brew, but nothing on offer in bottlo or the pub. (in July 04)

Sydney- St Peters, Malt Shovel, Malt Shovel Micro @ King St Wharf, RedOak, Paddy's,Scharers, Lord Nelson, 5 Islands not too far away, or potters & Blue Tongue just up the F3. There was Out back, do they still exist? When is the new palce in the City opening? B4 Xmas? The city would be a great pub crawl when they get going. Add to that 2 Belgian Cafes.
Anyone I left out?

sluggerdog said:
Gold Coast Brewpub - Brewpub
3120 Gold Coast Hwy (Next to Islander Resort) Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
Ph 07 5504 5971

- From http://www.realbeer.com.au/au_breweries/

has closed down, we went there for the weekend and I was looking forward to a few drinks and a fead.
Damm, was planning on going back there again this weekend while I'm up there.

So is there no Micros on the Gold Coast now ?

May have to go the German Restaraunt instead and some wheat beers.

Doc

Doc: Is the micro at sanctuary cove still going? Last time I was there it wasnt too bad.

Right in the middle of surfers is the bavarian steakhouse. They have a decent range of beers on tap, and the food aint too bad either. This place used to be my local when I was living there about 6 or 7 years ago.

I think the brewery at Sanctuary Cove is still going.
Bit far in a cab though I think.

The Bavarian Steakhouse is the German restaurant I was thinking of.

Beers,
Doc

Gold Coast Brewpub is actually for sale at the moment including all equipment, would be nice and simple for someone to buy in and start up.

Yes it was a shame it closed down, I was staying only 100 metres walk from there..

Back