Whats the biggest RIMS system anyone has built themselves. Electric

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortybronx

Reaction score
Looking at building an electric RIMS system around 300L.

Is this plausible?

Has anyone built one?

How many elements did you use?

Only need the temps to max out around 80 C.

Pictures?

You could call an expert (like Roman Elements in VIC) to get the correct sizing on your element(s).

I had a conversation with them like:
Me: "I need to heat about 100 litres of water to 75C"
Romar: "How quickly"
Me: "Uh, let's say an hour"
Romar: "Ok, an XXXX watt element will do that"
Romar: "are you only heating plain water?"
(etc...)

What sort of vessels are you using?

Volume of the mash is not really relavent. Flow rate is what you need to know there is no point throwing 10000w at 7lpm. Find out what your max flow rate is without compacting the bed. The bigger trick here is finding a brewing pump to do the job. (Skip anything american made to run at 60hz ). The heating equation then works out at max flowrate heated to biggest temp step. We do mashes of this size at swap meets. However these systems are pieced togeather on the day and we are limited by power available. And the equipment usually used in smaller home brew systems. So a march 815 just won't cut the mustard, on a 200l+ mash unless your happy with 2 hour ramps.

It's not RIMS but Nev from onlinebrewingsupplies.com has built a very large HERMS for his new endeavor Wedgetail Brewing. Check them out on facebook. Looks like 12Hl.

blotto said:
It's not RIMS but Nev from onlinebrewingsupplies.com has built a very large HERMS for his new endeavor Wedgetail Brewing. Check them out on facebook. Looks like 12Hl.
Do you know what sort of pump is being used on the mash?

cheers appreciate it. Its happening by the way. Got me a 400L stainless tank. Lets see how it goes

Attachments

• 19125389_10155361484793904_1081179344_o.jpg
    19125389_10155361484793904_1081179344_o.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Back