What's the best Ultra-book/tablet

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

I am looking at getting an Ultra-book as opposed to a laptop. Can anyone recommend ones to look at. I am currently looking at Microsoft Surface pro3 or a Lenovo Yoga. Any suggestions?

Cheers

My father-in-law had a Lenovo Yoga for 6 weeks, loved it then out of the blue it froze on its boot screen one day when he turned it on and basically bricked. Google told me it's a common issue with the only fix being a return to the manufacturer for replacement.

I'd leap for a MacBook Air if it had a SIM card slot.

Le *****

Used to (still do but don't use it anymore cause of age) run the original MacBook Air in bootcamp with windows do and Mac OSx. Best portable laptop I ever had. Light, reliable, versatile. Could choose what I wanted to do with it. CATIA on windows, no prob. MATLAB in OSx, no problem. Graphics and photo editing and emails in OSx. You beauty.

I have a Microsoft Surface and have found it to be a great combination of hardware/software.
Windows 8.1 is a huge improvement from 8.0 and it's a pleasure to use. I have not seen an error yet.
I use it in the office as my work laptop with an external keyboard, monitor etc and at home I use a keyboard/cover combo.
Having a Micro SD slot gives it the edge over some similar products.

Downsides:
Single USB port (but it's 3.0 and easy to add a hub - I am using a 6 port hub)
No ethernet port (USB adapter available - works well but only 100Mbps)
Mini HDMI (Needs adapter)
Heavy, it's a lot of PC in a little case. If you were using it to read in bed and you nodded off you would be likely to sustain a head injury.

I am happy to answer any specific questions.

Back