Whats The Best Type Of Cub Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I have been inspired by all the talk on the site about keg boilers. I can get my hands on either the short fat 50l keg or the taller skinny 50l keg. So what is the best one to use?
Also is it possible to cut the top out by using a hacksaw?

I have been informed that the taller/skinnier ones are the better ones for a boiler. I think its something to do with having a smaller area to heat to get to the boil.

As far as hacksawing the lid out.......what??? physio for the new shoulder or you want to knacker the other one??????

A 4" angle grinder and a blade per keg is real easy

:ph34r: The skinnier one's I find are better, not that I use any! :ph34r:

The tops are smoother and don't have bumps and shapes so if you want to fit a lid to the nice neat hole it works well. The fat one's I don't think would allow this.

Hacksaw.....hmmm it would take you forever and you'd end up making a dog of a job. Hacksaws aren't really designed to go around corners. Buy a $20 4" angle grinder and a flexovit 1mm thick disk and do it that way. Trust me, that will be $22 well spent. They're easy to work with.

Cheers, Justin :ph34r:

SJW said:
Also is it possible to cut the top out by using a hacksaw?
SJW

as Justin has said, go the grinder. It is by far the quickest and easiest way.

Hoops

Linz said:
I have been informed that the taller/skinnier ones are the better ones for a boiler. I think its something to do with having a smaller area to heat to get to the boil.
I don't agree , I perfer the short fatter ones , larger area for the flame , therefore a quicker boil.

Think of a saucepan on your stove , larger diameter bottom boils quicker

The tall ones are best if you you want to use them for a mash tun

Linz said:
As far as hacksawing the lid out.......what??? physio for the new shoulder or you want to knacker the other one??????
Good call Linz. The shoulder is coming along good now. Just had my first physio session, 4 weeks after surgery , the other day. Boy that was no fun at all.
I got a couple of those real thin cutting disks, that should do the job, nice and easy. :D

done boys. I went with the short fat one, and cut the top out to suit my 20 litre pot lid. I have decided to to do a Bock for my first all extract, after i bottle the porter. But untill i get some type of chiller sorted and a good burner i will stick with the stove top. Anyway the angle griner was a breeze. Thanks fellas

Dcp00763.jpg

Exellent SJW !

Looks great , all you need to do now is sort out a value and make a chiller , easy azz

Next mash paddle look out !

Ummm. Is that a milkcrate wearing a t shirt, and how would you use it in brewing?

Good decision SJW.
I find that the shorter wider keg gives me a better boil under a three ring burner.

Beers,
Doc

looks good SJW! I just made one using the taller kegs and it is pretty inefficient with the four ring burner as the fourth ring spills over the edges a bit. Next one I get will be the same as yours and the existing one can be a mash tun.

Nice work.

Guest Lurker said:
Ummm. Is that a milkcrate wearing a t shirt, and how would you use it in brewing?
No No No it is an amplifier wearing a t-shirt, done u know anything???? :D
The milkcrate is half full of the Stout i am going to give the gas fitter up the road for welding up the copper manifold i made up for draining the mash. I will use the little esky u can see behind the keg for the mash. I will post a photo when its done.

Back