Whats The Best Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

Reaction score
HI Guys ,

Just purchased a new 40 lt Aluminium pot for BIAB . Whats the best method to season it . I have read in the oven with a coating of peanut oil. Does this sound right ?

Thanks guys

Cheers Leigh .

Found this on you tube ,Love the part when she makes out with the dog .LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Guys ,

Just purchased a new 40 lt Aluminium pot for BIAB . Whats the best method to season it . I have read in the oven with a coating of peanut oil. Does this sound right ?

Thanks guys

Cheers Leigh .

Found this on you tube ,Love the part when she makes out with the dog .LOL

You cooking or brewing with it? If brewing just boil some water for a while and you should see it turn color. Do not clean it with any scouring pad or the oxidization will come off and you are back to shinny new. The more you brew the darker it will get. As long as you do not burn anything in it, or leave wort setting in it to grow a science experiment, just rinse it out with hot water. After all you are going to boil the wort for an hour or more next time you brew.

Last edited by a moderator:
You cooking or brewing with it? If brewing just boil some water for a while and you should see it turn color. Do not clean it with any scouring pad or the oxidization will come off and you are back to shinny new. The more you brew the darker it will get. As long as you do not burn anything in it, or leave wort setting in it to grow a science experiment, just rinse it out with hot water. After all you are going to boil the wort for an hour or more next time you brew.

Yup, that's the way I did it with mine.
I only use mine for a kettle, but it now has a nice brown colour on the inside. I just hose it out when I'm done, and occasionally give it a bit of a scrub with a nylon scourer (do not use metallic).
Works fine, and no need to do anything else.

And even if it does end up like a science experiment just boil it again :p

Yep boild water, preferrably quite full too, I still have a line where I boiled the first lot of water in mine, it seems to remember that first time for years (don't we all). Do not leave sodium percarbonate or similar solutions in the pot, trust me.

The atmosphere conditions Al, so don't rub the oxide off.

After 90 odd batches my kettle is going strong, a bit brown perhaps but still good.

Cheers

Grant

so whats the diff in using stainless vs ali. i have read ali gives a metalic taste?

Ive got an aluminium kettle and SS kegs for mash/hlt.

The stainless is good as its tougher, doesnt dent/scratch easily, can use napisan on it. its probably easier to weld to than aluminium too, but I have weldless fittings on all anyway and cant weld stainless.
Aluminium is cheaper. Mine is still going fine after a few years, but Id prefer to have an stainless pot. I cant see what would happen to it to wear it out so I cant use it, it may just stop looking so good.

I got lucky, and found a 120Lt Aluminium pot at the Hills Clearance Centre for $90. If its half full, deforms when you try and lift it, but who wants to lift that much hot wort anyway hey?

Ive got an aluminium kettle and SS kegs for mash/hlt.

The stainless is good as its tougher, doesnt dent/scratch easily, can use napisan on it. its probably easier to weld to than aluminium too, but I have weldless fittings on all anyway and cant weld stainless.
Aluminium is cheaper. Mine is still going fine after a few years, but Id prefer to have an stainless pot. I cant see what would happen to it to wear it out so I cant use it, it may just stop looking so good.

I got lucky, and found a 120Lt Aluminium pot at the Hills Clearance Centre for $90. If its half full, deforms when you try and lift it, but who wants to lift that much hot wort anyway hey?

Also more important when you start looking at larger sized pots, ali is lighter.

You can leave water/napisan/pbw in the stainless overnight to soak, ali will pit if you do that.

QldKev

Back