What's the best famous homebrew/clone/recipe you've ever brewe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another for pliny the elder, we did one of those epic swap brews of it.. Sensational.

The only other clone... Or recipe I've ever marginally followed, was the RIS Mardoo and I put in. Also gob smackingly sensational, though on the last, we veered off with our candi syrup additions.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Here it is, also the PilsnerUrquell recipe which I plan to do also :)

It must be said the grist and mash schedule is the perfect base for any clean, full bodied lager. I plan to even try it with some PoR to see if I can make a nice tasting aussie lager!
any chance you can share what book that is?

jatterbury said:
any chance you can share what book that is?
I thought it was clone brews but upon checking it is not. Those shots are from this forum but I cant find the thread. Hopefully someone recognizes the book and can shed some light.....

I use to do Pliny the Elder as my house beer. For several years I almost always had it on tap. Early on I stuffed a couple of batches of it, generally it came out well though. The best brews I did of it were when I got hops from the USA, which surprised me because of the amount of time those hops were in the mail. I don't know for sure but I suspect the superior versions that I brewed were helped particularly by the quality of the centennial hops.

Other clone recipes I've tried and loved were the Kern River double IPA, which was fantastic, and Three Floyds Zombie Dust.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Completely agree with your last sentence.

For me, Czech Budvar clone (from Clone Brews). Sold me on step mashing and 90min gentle boils with noble hops. Combined with the huge starter and controlled fermentation, it's the best beer I've brewed. Simple things done well is king.

PS. You've reminded me that I have only one bottle left of it, will shed a tear when finishing it....
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Here it is, also the PilsnerUrquell recipe which I plan to do also :)

It must be said the grist and mash schedule is the perfect base for any clean, full bodied lager. I plan to even try it with some PoR to see if I can make a nice tasting aussie lager!
DJ_L3ThAL said:
Did a split batch with my mate he took a cube I took a cube.

I used the Pilsner Urquell White labs, he used the Budvar White labs. I didn't taste his but he loved it, mine was amazing, I harvested some of the Budvar yeast from the starter I made for him so next time I'm trying the Budvar yeast! Cold pitched at 10C and fermented at that for 4 weeks, then legged and lagered in the keg as I drank it ;-) bottles got another 4 weeks at room temp then we're all put in the fridge to lager in the bottle.
Moad said:
Have you brewed that recipe DJ? Looking for a clone for a mate at work...

What yeast?
Nuff said? :)

I've done the Bittbuger clone by zainasheff and it is probably the best German lager I've made, I've made it about half a dozen times now and it always turns out, I subbed the hops for the French Strisselspalt hops which was a recommended substitution and I think it worked well.

Darrens said:
Gidday Guys, Would really appreciate a 23 L Recipe for that Zombie Dust Clone if someone has one .
Thanks. Darren.
Got mine off HBT.
Changed the grains to what Martin @ NHB had at the time.
Tweaked numbers to suit my system.
Fermented with S04 @ 18C.
Water profile adjusted to my "hop forward" profile.

Managed to get a 44 point BJCP score (out of 50) at a local comp (my first comp too).
Pretty bloody good beer :)

I brewed a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack clone (black eye IPA) last year and it was fantastic. One of the best beers I've ever brewed.

So much so that it won our brew clubs case swap competition.

Sure...here it is. i had never tried the original until I managed to find it in a bottlo a few months back. And after trying it I thought my version was much better. But the original could have been old and had lost some of its spicy pepperyness and hop character.

bIPA.JPG

View attachment black-rye-ipa.bsmx

Have to agree with the second post on this thread. I spent years brewing over and over that Pilsner Urquell recipe just trying to perfect it. That's the problem I found brewing with my old 3 V system I could never replicate a fine brew like a pale Lager with any degree of accuracy. In recent years I have got lazy and mainly done APA's but me thinks I need to get the fire in the belly going for German Lagers again.

Steve

SJW said:
Have to agree with the second post on this thread. I spent years brewing over and over that Pilsner Urquell recipe just trying to perfect it. That's the problem I found brewing with my old 3 V system I could never replicate a fine brew like a pale Lager with any degree of accuracy. In recent years I have got lazy and mainly done APA's but me thinks I need to get the fire in the belly going for German Lagers again.

Steve
Ah yes but now you own the best of the best kit in the world for making a repeatable wort quality so all you need to do is get the yeast, fermentation and conditioning steps right and you are away fella ;)

Truman said:
Sure...here it is. i had never tried the original until I managed to find it in a bottlo a few months back. And after trying it I thought my version was much better. But the original could have been old and had lost some of its spicy pepperyness and hop character.
Thanks for that, I've been looking for a black IPA recipe, and wanted to try something with Rye as well.
I'll add this to the next purchase order from NHB ;)

Latest posts

Back