Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Next cab off the rank, my first AG Hefe, Just opened the first bottle and very happy with it.

Wraith

post-2507-1299824492_thumb.jpg

What better to enjoy on a cool weekend than a couple glasses of Marzen.
post-416-1301179955_thumb.jpg
Battle of the unusually tall and skinny glasses.

ESB.. very HH, all galaxy!

Sorry Bjornj, it is awesome!

IMG_0239.JPG

BTW: Could anyone of you guys who take great pics, Tony, bribie etc do a little bit of a 'How to' on taking good pics?

Not quite a glass but the most appropriate place for this...
My dad is a potter and occasionally goes to Japan for work.

He bought back these Japanese beer mugs last trip. The little shadow in the right hand side of the mug is a dimple for your fingers to hold...

That's an alt in there, although it could be anything really...

I did a quick bit of searching to find out how common they are and found this...

View attachment 45067

Seeing as no one else has answered I'll give you my 2C worth.

Go for good natural light with a bright backround so you can really see through your beer.
If the sun is about or any source of direct light try and place it behind you so it is not shinning towards your lense. I notice in your picture the sun is visible through the window and that won't help. Effectively your camera is squinting (technical term) into the sun and not allowing the light in properly.

Cheers Brad

ESB.. very HH, all galaxy!

Sorry Bjornj, it is awesome!

View attachment 45050

BTW: Could anyone of you guys who take great pics, Tony, bribie etc do a little bit of a 'How to' on taking good pics?

Seeing as no one else has answered I'll give you my 2C worth.

Go for good natural light with a bright backround so you can really see through your beer.
If the sun is about or any source of direct light try and place it behind you so it is not shinning towards your lense. I notice in your picture the sun is visible through the window and that won't help. Effectively your camera is squinting (technical term) into the sun and not allowing the light in properly.

Cheers Brad

Cheers mate! Appreciate it.

:icon_cheers:

do a little bit of a 'How to' on taking good pics?

As said above....... avoid having a bright light source behind the beer shining in the lense. It will darken everything else in the photo as the camera tries to set the lighting of the brightest part right automaticly.

If you have a good Digital SLR its a bit easier to get a great shot of your beer if you know how to use your gear.

some base rules i use:

The 6 P's........... PPPPPP (Propper Prepotation Prevents Piss Poor Performance)
Take pics mid to late arvo.
Avoid direct bright sunlight, expecially midday overhead sun.
Wipe your glass dry before taking the picture, sweat on the glass can make it look hazy.
Find a nice background with colours that contrast the beer. Green folage is great with golden beers, blue water or pale golden bricks is great behind a dark beer.
Try and fill the frame with the beer glass. If you have a backdrop like batz....... show off both but its the beer we want to see..... not always the background.
Dont take pictures naked as murpheys law says the reflection of your mummy/daddy bits will show up in the photo.
If you can... set a small f stop (apiture) to blur the background, making the beer the focus of the image.
and i find i get a better result taking pics outdoors most of the time. I have taken a few good shots indoors but natural soft light used in the right way will alwyas win.

cheers

Galaxy IPA,
going down very nicely. Maybe more bitterness and a few more late hops next time, but very nice nonetheless .

Cheers

WP_000015.jpg

Linky to Kabooby's Mocha Porter, which I cracked tonight after 6 months in the bottle.

Really tasty choc/coffee aftertones, a well rounded porter.

DSCN4286.JPG

As said above....... avoid having a bright light source behind the beer shining in the lense. It will darken everything else in the photo as the camera tries to set the lighting of the brightest part right automaticly.

If you have a good Digital SLR its a bit easier to get a great shot of your beer if you know how to use your gear.

some base rules i use:

The 6 P's........... PPPPPP (Propper Prepotation Prevents Piss Poor Performance)
Take pics mid to late arvo.
Avoid direct bright sunlight, expecially midday overhead sun.
Wipe your glass dry before taking the picture, sweat on the glass can make it look hazy.
Find a nice background with colours that contrast the beer. Green folage is great with golden beers, blue water or pale golden bricks is great behind a dark beer.
Try and fill the frame with the beer glass. If you have a backdrop like batz....... show off both but its the beer we want to see..... not always the background.
Dont take pictures naked as murpheys law says the reflection of your mummy/daddy bits will show up in the photo.
If you can... set a small f stop (apiture) to blur the background, making the beer the focus of the image.
and i find i get a better result taking pics outdoors most of the time. I have taken a few good shots indoors but natural soft light used in the right way will alwyas win.

cheers

Above and beyond. Thanks mate!

Stay tuned for better pics! :beer:

No pic, but tasting the first of my "harvest" ales, been in the bottle for 4 weeks. Due to a miscalculation of the bittering addition (old Willamette - yes I know Bum, fresh is best) it is way too sweet - but on top of that I added 30gms of my cascade flowers at 20 mins, another 30gms at 5 mins and again at flameout. Don't know if the lack of bitterness (it has 1kg of munich and another 250gms of caramunich in it as I was aiming for 50IBU but probably only got 30IBU) is masking the late hop additions or not. It is very drinkable and very tasty, but way too malty for style and there is just F.A. cascade hop aroma or flavour. Used wy 1272. Those who like a subtle, malty beer would have no qualms with it. The learning curve never ends, and it is awesome fun tasting the results haha...

edit: just had a quick go at the second harvest beer which is entirely bittered, flavoured and aroma with chinook and cascade from my plants...was aiming for 45IBU and although this is better than the first one it is still too sweet - at least this one doesn't have any cara in it. Please be aware I'm not whinging, just commenting - I will be using the lowest of all possible ranges when formulating recipes with these hops in future. Maybe that is my pay back for getting so many kgs of flowers haha!!

My 'Pumpkin Scone Beer'

Orange didn't come across to the beer like I wanted but the pumpkin probably has darkened what otherwise would have been a light coloured beer with just pils malt and white flour for the bulk of the fermentables, and a little raw sugar...

View attachment 45243

Much pumpkin flavour coming through?

Much pumpkin flavour coming through?
Not really. It's not a bad drinking beer but I think the yeast dominates a little. I had to sub in a dried wheat yeast at the last minute as the slurry I was planning on using didn't take off.
Whatever the case I have what I hoped for at worst, a beer I'm happy to drink even if it doesn't quite have the character of the specialty ingredient.

Hell half the fun was thinking of the concept and brewing the beer. I'd never used pumpkin or flour...

I'm happy to drink even if it doesn't quite have the character of the specialty ingredient.
Yeah, that's kinda why I asked - I've read it is pretty hard to bring the pumpkin flavour forward in a beer. I'm pretty much obsessed with pumpkin in my cooking and really want to get it forward in a brew and am seeking some hints.

Cheers.

Yeah, that's kinda why I asked - I've read it is pretty hard to bring the pumpkin flavour forward in a beer. I'm pretty much obsessed with pumpkin in my cooking and really want to get it forward in a brew and am seeking some hints.

Cheers.
Well 'PocketBeers' put something like 6kgs in his so perhaps that's the answer :)

Well 'PocketBeers' put something like 6kgs in his so perhaps that's the answer :)

Ben, what's happened, such restraint, just not you OM! Virtus Adepto

Is PocketBeers the new master of outrageous brewing?

:lol: :lol:

Will post a pic of mine, no real flavour contribution from the Pumpkin, but a very nice beer, interesting spice flavour but fairly restrained, pretty much what I wanted.

Screwy

lol
As I believe I may have mentioned elsewhere, I'm stressing about squeezing 2kg into my tun let alone 6kg of the stuff!

Maybe 2kg in the mash, 2kg in the boil and 2kg dry-pumpkining. Served in hollowed-out pumpkins of course.

What I think I'll try is having the 2kg I use be a blend of pumpkin and sweet potato - apparently this brings out the pumpkin flavour a little more.

Back