Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droid said:
Blackberry Berliner W
3.6% nice warm day brew day beer
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
What fruit kg/Beer litres ratio did you use? Or have you added the blackberry purée to the glass?

Bevan, It was a colab brew - I will have to check what the amount was as it was fermented and fruited elsewhere...

It was frozen, thawed, frozen thawed and added to secondary. We were talking around 1.25kg/20ltrs but I will check. As it tastes, I would like more Blackberry and more sour but it was a rush. So I've worked out that .5ml of lactic to a 330ml glass of this beer is not bad and some more blackberry would make it really appealing.

1st beer from the keg. 10%sugar and belle saison. Can't remember the rest. But it's dry and tart and bloody delicious 2 beers only but I'm leaving the shed after this one (promise), big day at work tomorrow. Saying that in a few days when the hot weather comes back this is gunna be dangerous ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1486024779.953680.jpg

Wakitu/Riwaka with 100% Gladfield Ale Malt.

Tasted crap in the keg after a month so I just bottled a few in case it came good. 3 months later it's very smooth and drinkable.

wp_ss_20170204_0001.png

Cream ale. 3:2:1 parts MO, wheat and polenta, tettanger for bittering only with M44. About 5%, finished at 1.008 by memory. Dicked around with a cereal mash with the polenta but seems to have paid off, there's a definite corn character in there. Apparently you're supposed to lager these for a few weeks but I give no shits, it's a winner as-is. I'm already thinking of lining it up again and making it a house brew. If you haven't brewed a cream ale before brew a cream ale.
View attachment 95181

Westvleteren 12 clone from the last Vic swap.

Stone fruit/dark sugar nose. Maybe a touch of raisin. Big yeasty banana flavour with all the aroma coming through as well. Very dry but still plenty of body? Not sure how that works, but the more I sample the less word makey I seem to be. Might have Something to do with a second glass.

Finished at 1.005, so after the candy additions I think it did make the 12% mark. And far too drinkable... So, on that note:

"Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

1486291488212.jpg

Edit: Maybe kegging half of it was a bad idea? #fuckihatebottling

Northeast IPA

Vermont Yeast, no whirlfloc or finings, 18% rolled oats, 125ppm chloride

5.6% and 55ibu

Warrior bitterness to 37ibu
Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic late and heavy including double dry hopping.

Freaking Delicious. :super:

WP_20170205_15_18_49_Pro.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Northeast IPA

Vermont Yeast, no whirlfloc or finings, 18% rolled oats, 125ppm chloride

5.6% and 55ibu

Warrior bitterness to 37ibu
Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic late and heavy including double dry hopping.

attachicon.gif
WP_20170205_15_18_49_Pro.jpg
pratty I'm a week away from doing one with Vermont yeast.

hows the abv holding up to the ibu's? i was thinking of doing an 8%er but maybe I could do a 6 and then an 8

any chance on getting the recipe mate, pal, chum

droid said:
pratty I'm a week away from doing one with Vermont yeast.

hows the abv holding up to the ibu's? i was thinking of doing an 8%er but maybe I could do a 6 and then an 8

any chance on getting the recipe mate, pal, chum
Actually really well. purely based on the later hops and the way the oats, chloride and yeast hold the hop oils. The recipe was meant for 6.2% but I missed my target OG.

The late hops for a 20lt batch were :

28g each @ 95c for 10mins (citra/galaxy/mosaic) - then chilled kettle wort to 75c
28g each @ 75c for 15mins (citra/galaxy/mosaic) - got a great hop resin from this, could of been longer for more ( original recipe said for 30mins )

Dry hopping is important to catch just as the krausen drops to get interaction of this yeast with the hops, so good!

Pratty1 said:
Actually really well. purely based on the later hops and the way the oats, chloride and yeast hold the hop oils. The recipe was meant for 6.2% but I missed my target OG.

The late hops for a 20lt batch were :

28g each @ 95c for 10mins (citra/galaxy/mosaic) - then chilled kettle wort to 75c
28g each @ 75c for 15mins (citra/galaxy/mosaic) - got a great hop resin from this, could of been longer for more ( original recipe said for 30mins )

Dry hopping is important to catch just as the krausen drops to get interaction of this yeast with the hops, so good!
thanks for that but you are still holding out on me

Pratty1 said:
Northeast IPA

Vermont Yeast, no whirlfloc or finings, 18% rolled oats, ...

Hey pratty, how did the 18% oats go?
Did you bother to toast them beforehand? Were there any problems in the mash/sparge with such a high %-age?
More importantly, can you describe any particular flavour elements that are coming through from the oats (in amongst the shed load of hops!), apart from that silky mouthfeel you normally get from oats?

(Fwiw, I'm looking to do a simple Belgian ale and maybe an APA/IPA with 5-10% oats in the near future so I'm particularly keen on the flavour impact)

technobabble66 said:
Hey pratty, how did the 18% oats go?
Did you bother to toast them beforehand? Were there any problems in the mash/sparge with such a high %-age?
More importantly, can you describe any particular flavour elements that are coming through from the oats (in amongst the shed load of hops!), apart from that silky mouthfeel you normally get from oats?

(Fwiw, I'm looking to do a simple Belgian ale and maybe an APA/IPA with 5-10% oats in the near future so I'm particularly keen on the flavour impact)
18% is the right amount. No toasting, but it would be a nice addition to the flavour though, see the recipe from HBT did call for 5% honey malt, now I have the beer it would be a nice flavour to include. No issue with sparge because I have a BM and lift the malt pipe, if you are concerned just throw in a handful of sea gulls. (rice hulls)

The oats don't add much in the way of actual flavour, it is more about the proteins which it helps to give the massive amount of hops oils something to bind with. Interestingly its not that silkiness we know that is found with oatmeal stouts, for some reason the oats don't impart that when there is no dark malts, not sure why, maybe it does but the hops hide that.

Using 5-10% is a good contribution to the beer, softens its really well so I like it. I often use 5% + for my ales so go for it.

Latest posts

Back